Bird Bikes

Bluestoesonnose
Bluestoesonnose Posts: 372
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Any views on Bird bikes? Worth taking a punt on? I mainly do longer distance rides (35 to 50 milers) mostly off road aroung Dartmoor, Exmoor, Quantocks, Cornwall, etc. Traditionally I've gone for XC hard tail type bikes with the Pace RC303 XCAM suiting my needs well, not really into Carbon as I have this phobia about it failing and being miles from anywhere. Don't really have a need for full suss as it's just something else to break with all the boggy mud and granite grit we get in the winter and the additional weight also puts me off. And I quite like the idea of a UK based company, even if the frames are built in Taiwan.
This is why!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Biased because I know they guys, but they designed the frame - it's not a catalogue frame with bits added. And they spent a long time and lots of thought, testing etc doing it.

You can also spec pretty much how you want it, could talk to them - Ben is one of the straightest guys I know, very helpful and no bullshit, call in for a test ride, and get the best warranty in the business.

So as a product - well worth it. Quite a few locals have bought one, no one has complained or, AFAIK, managed to break one yet.

Perfect for your type of riding? - only you can decide.

If I was looking for a hardtail I personally wouldn't hesitate, but my elderly body prefers a squidgy rear end, so my next bike will probably be their FS, when it comes out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Well worth the purchase IMO. Very happy with mine. Geometry and ride quality is very well sorted and can cover ground quickly if you push it. Confidence inspiring when the going gets fast and technical.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If I was in the UK, had a need for a new hardtail and had 1300+ quid to blow they would be on my list for sure.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am interested in the Bird full susser but they need to put some decent zoomable photos of it on the website. £850 is a lot to splash on a frame that you cant see properly.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fair point. As far as the capabilities of the bike go
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Although he could probably ride most people under the table on an Apollo.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs wrote:
    I am interested in the Bird full susser but they need to put some decent zoomable photos of it on the website. £850 is a lot to splash on a frame that you cant see properly.
    Compared to other offerings it's decent value. Seen it in the flesh in a couple of colours and looks really good.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • bj639
    bj639 Posts: 76
    I bought a Bird recently and I love it. I got the basic model but I am out on it 4 times a week churning miles on the country lanes (the lockout on the Velvet turns it to a rigid!) as well as red routes at Dalby and Sutton Bank.

i have the blue and the photos do not do the frame justice, its like a candy blue with flecks, looks gorgeous in sunlight. Not seen a better looking bike on the trail yet!