Too tight

norfi1983
norfi1983 Posts: 4
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could offer a little advice please.

Recently due to problems with my torque wrench I over tightened the bolts on my Ricthey C260 stem faceplate and managed to then round the hex bolts.

Anyway after a bit of faff I managed to finally remove the bolts.

I am not sure what torque they eventually went to but I am aware that the stem says the bolts max torque is 5nm.

As a result of going over could I have caused any structural damage to the stem or bars. Both of which are made from Aluminium and NOT Carbon. Am I worrying about nothing or should I been more concerned?

Regards

Marc

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check the threads in the stem - if they're stripped, you might be able to save them with a Helicoil. You drill out and tap the threads to M6, fit a steel helical insert that reduces the threads back down to 5mm. Kits available online.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi,

Firstly thanks for the quick reply Monty Dog. The threads are all ok. My main concern was could I have caused a hairline crack or fracture in the aluminium due to over torquing the bolts which I can't see with my eye? The bolts were 3mm.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Highly unlikely you've done any damage at all. Sounds like the cheap bolts were a benefit in the end by rounding out rather than stripping threads.
  • Whats the point of having a max torque then??
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    So you don't mash the whole thing, split it and then complain when you die.

If you can't see anything you've probably got away with it - your wrench can't have been that far out otherwise you really would have noticed it as you put the end of the 6ft scaffold bar onto the wrench to reach that 5Nm figure.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    norfi1983 wrote:
    Whats the point of having a max torque then??

So you don't do things up stupidly tight and round out hex sockets! If you're that ham fisted and have so little mechanical "feel" you'd be better just using an ordinary Allen key, you'd do less harm. Reserve torque wrenches for carbon bits and pieces.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Get yourself a Ritchey Torque key or similar for about £12 - pre-set to 5Nm so you never overtighten a stem bolt again
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Did you use a torx key or an allen key jammed in, if you used an allen key then that is why they have rounded off.
    My C260 stem has been on and off several times and the bolts are still fine.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    rafletcher wrote:
    norfi1983 wrote:
    Whats the point of having a max torque then??

So you don't do things up stupidly tight and round out hex sockets! If you're that ham fisted and have so little mechanical "feel" you'd be better just using an ordinary Allen key, you'd do less harm. Reserve torque wrenches for carbon bits and pieces.

Au contraire mon frere - he sounds like a bit of a masher so anything that can be useful to prevent such mashing should be used. The click or break of a torque wrench should assist in him not over tightening things.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.