10spd - not allowing me to utilise all 10 gears

Briggo
Briggo Posts: 3,537
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning,

Problem:
Once resetting the cable - shifter in highest gear (smallest cog), cable untensioned, adjuster bolt fully wound in and applying tension to the cable and tightening bolt on rear derailleur to hold cable tension.

Shifter shifts up smoothly-ish through to the 9th gear (second largest) but once clicking into 10th it hangs and hangs and hangs, *clunk clunk clunk clunk*.

I then adjust the adjuster bolt on the shifter to apply more tension and it shifts into the lowest gear (largest cog), however then shifting back to the highest gear (smallest cog) on the rear it won't drop into it as there's too much tension on the cable stopping the derailleur to drop all the way to where it needs to be.

Yes the high and low adjusters are set correctly to allow shifting into those gears.

Additionally, it takes a couple of gear clicks downwards to actually move from the largest cog down to the next gear, it's as if the cable is getting stuck before enough slack is created to force the cable to then move and adjust the derailleur to shift.
I checked the line and there are no obvious kinks where the cable could be getting stuck, it is an internally routed cable on the downtube but that shouldnt cause any issues should it?

Sram X0 Type 2
Sram X9 shifters

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    New cables?

Ends cut and prepped? Sounds a bit like there is some friction in the system.

Shifters are 10spd?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Briggo
    Yeah new cables bud, ends are cut by a cable cutter and capped so no splitting of the cable has happened.

Shifters are definately 10 speed.

I think it's friction too but I can't seem to locate it with any obvious kinks on the outers, would internal (no outer in the internal tubing) have anything to do with it, i.e. its going from an outer to internal to outer cable again.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it hitting the stop, sometimes adding some tension will force it just far enough to shift but messes up the rest of the indexing.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Briggo wrote:
    Yeah new cables bud, ends are cut by a cable cutter and capped so no splitting of the cable has happened.

Shifters are definitely 10 speed.

I think it's friction too but I can't seem to locate it with any obvious kinks on the outers, would internal (no outer in the internal tubing) have anything to do with it, i.e. its going from an outer to internal to outer cable again.
    Sounds like you have not cleaned the ends after cutting the outers.

Read parktools
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Briggo
    I haven't cut any outers, they're as is.

Ill see if I can give them a clean though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did you just replace the inners?
    I always do outers at the same time, costs a couple of £s extra, but works for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Aye just the inners, not had a problem replacing just inners before but that was on my previous bike.

I'll get some outers, it's still doing it, it might be these particular outers are gone.
  • Briggo
    Cooldad wins, didn't think to change the outer. Had some spare jagwire and shifts perfectly now.
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    Definitely the outers as was the case. Mine was doing the same, internal routing, brand new inner cable, cleaned outers, moved cable by hand seemed smooth all the way, gears would be over the place no matter the adjustment it would either not shift, not drop, would hesitate etc. Even replaced shifters and routed cable outside of frame, nothing worked. As a last resort I replaced the tiny bit of outer cable (which felt absolutely fine by the way). Gears suddenly burst to life with no adjustment needed and been fine since. Lesson learnt, do not skimp on the outers!