Wheels/rotors

moefoemil
moefoemil Posts: 254
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
Probably been asked before but I'm buying some Avid Elixir 1 disc brakes for a build I'm doing, I'm also looking to buy some wheels and have found a set of Mavic Crossrides for a good price. The only thing is, the Crossrides are center lock disc compatible, will this matter? Or will it be ok if I get 160mm center lock discs instead of the 160mm 6bolt discs that came with the Elixirs?
Any help/info would be greatly appreciated as I might be buying the wheels tmrw lunch time.
Cheers. Gaz
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited October 2014
    Not sure what stage you are at but wouldn't recommend either.

But yes, you can mostly use any disc with any brake, only issue you can get clearance issues (with discs with central spiders) but it's rare.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Get deore brakes and discs if you are looking to save money , much better performance.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Elixir brakes are terrible. Not just the low end Elixir 1 but right up to the Elixir XX.
    Get some Shimano Deores instead.
  • moefoemil
    moefoemil Posts: 254
    Thanks for the replys, the elixirs and wheels are only for a bike I'm building to commute to work as mine was stolen. I'm building it on a very tight budget and the brakes and wheels were sold to me at very cheap prices. I'd love to build another bike with better parts but it would probably only get nicked again :lol:
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are the worst brakes you could buy and near enough the same price as Deores.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are the worst brakes you could buy and near enough the same price as Deores.
    I think you missed:
    moefoemil wrote:
    ...the brakes and wheels were sold to me at very cheap prices...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools