Chainrings or Chainset

Banno
Banno Posts: 63
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
My son has just got a new bike.
It comes with Ultegra shifters and mechs but Shimano R565 brake calipers and compact chainset.
For his racing I want him to have 52/36 gearing.
My question is should I fit
A) TA Zephyr 7075 machined chainrings at £75,
B) Praxis Works 7075 forged chainrings at £110,
or
C) A new Ultegra 52/36 chainset at £130?

Thanks

Owen

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Does he like the look of the R565 Crankset? if so go for the chain ring option, however if you can stretch to the Ultegra crankset and he prefers it, get him that. That's the swop I did on my bike only with the compact 50/34 version.
  • Banno
    Thanks for the response.
    The R565 looks fine, but it's no Ultegra and as its a race bike there is a slight weight benefit to be had also.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You say 'you' want him to have 52/36 - presumably he wants that as well?
  • Banno
    Yes, he wants whatever will be best for him and his racing
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    52 may not be best though, depending on what it's paired up with at the rear.
  • Banno
    It will be paired to a 14-27. Then when he races he will be on a 52-16 which is the biggest gear British Cycling will allow.
    Then next year when he's a junior it will be the 52-14.
    But I'm just wondering about chairings or chainset.....
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I have an R550 with TA Zephyr chainrings and an R700, so I think the previous generation equivalents of what you're looking at, the R700 is noticeably stiffer and also a bit lighter (although you'd struggle to notice this obviously!). Although I'd also say that one of the considerations with the current Ultegra chainsets is that you're pretty much restricted to Ultegra chainrings when the time comes to replace them.
  • Banno
    Think we're going to get a Rotor 3d crankset plus the 52/36 rings. That way we can always use the old 50/34 rings if we decide to go that way later on.
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    52 is way to go if he is junior or younger.But concentrating on fast spinning(high cadence) is what will win him a sprint not 2 teeths more/less.
    As for chainset I would find some shimano chainrings and buy them,not any Rotor or 110pounds chainrings.