hand built deep rims

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
i have some hand builds which i am very happy with, h plus son rims on hope hubs. not i see these more as all round training wheels and i am starting to think about something sexier looking for next summer! so what suggestions are there for some deep rims to have built up. bearing in mind my current ones cost £400 i certainly wouldn't spend more then £600 really for the whole wheel build as a guide...obviously less is good :D
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• You'll have to take a punt of Chinese rims, innit...?
    left the forum March 2023
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    oh is that really my only option? that a bit of a downer!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • You can have them with westernised stickers, but they are still Chinese rims... they are not that dreadful these days... if you go to the Alps, take your Archetype with you... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,095
    so........... how much for none Chinese and able to take to the alps?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Non chinese deep rims means heavy H plus son SL42 think 630g per rim, heavy BLB notorius rims (made in taiwan but maybe made in china as is sometimes the case with made in taiwan) or really expensive ENVE rims.

As ugo said Chinese rims are actually decent, I would say good but in my view no carbon is for any decent that would get an alloy rim hot, i,e long and twisty, long and flowing is not a problem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I suppose it depends on what you mean by deep section. What about some IRD Cadence? Not particularly deep though but reasonably light.
  • cycleclinic
    Thats the Kinlin XR-300. It is narrow and not that stiff compared to say the archetype which is only 20g heavier. It's O.K but the Kinlin XC-279 is a far better rim, stiffer, wider, cheap and only 490g each. 27mm deep as well and probably more aero. However the OP has archetype rim already. Why not stick to what you have unless you plan to spend c.£700 on a u,k builder doing you a set of carbon clinchers/tubs.
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Just find some used FFWD wheels.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have a set of 38mm carbon tubs laced to Soul Kozak hubs. I also have ENVE 6.7 tubs on CK R45 hubs. The difference is ridiculous. Anyone want to buy a set of barely used 38mm tubs?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Hey Grill care to explain the difference.. is it in the rims.. aerodynamics.. quality of the hubs? Just ordered a set of cheap 38mm tubs with Hope hubs from a local wheel builder.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Grill
    Errr... everything. There's nothing wrong with the 38mm set, but considering that they're being compared against pretty much the best rims and hubs out there, it's not really fair. There's nothing wrong with a Focus ST, but it's not a Lambo.
  • cycleclinic
    again what difference do you feel. The 6.7 rims are deeper they will be more aero, I suspect that is the big difference you notice along with power trnasfer due to the stiffer rim which may also influence handling. What width tyres are you running with them?
  • Mr Dog
    Spares are an issue. My LBS has all the component parts of the wheel in stock.The Sapim Laser spokes are easy to find anywhere. Ianbar... if like me you looking at £600 - £700 then Enve is out of the question. I don't think in all honesty that I would be able to do justice to high end wheels and I enjoy the process of buying from a guy I can pester when I've got a bit of spare time ;-)
  • Grill
    again what difference do you feel. The 6.7 rims are deeper they will be more aero, I suspect that is the big difference you notice along with power trnasfer due to the stiffer rim which may also influence handling. What width tyres are you running with them?

I run the same tubs on both (Schwalbe Ultremo HT 22mm). Obviously they're stiffer and more aero, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about really nice hubs (DA, CK, Royce, etc.) that's difficult to describe. They're just a pleasure.
  • Grill wrote:
    I have a set of 38mm carbon tubs laced to Soul Kozak hubs. I also have ENVE 6.7 tubs on CK R45 hubs. The difference is ridiculous. Anyone want to buy a set of barely used 38mm tubs?

That will be a hard sell after you've just told everyone they aren't as good as almost everything else you own and are a bit shjt.
    Good luck with that on Dragons Den.
  • Grill
    Grill wrote:

That will be a hard sell after you've just told everyone they aren't as good as almost everything else you own and are a bit shjt.
    Good luck with that on Dragons Den.

Saying a one product is superior to another doesn't make the other one bad. The Enve's are 4x the price so any reasonable person would expect them to be better.
  • Mr Dog
    Grill seems to know his kit. If I hadn't just ordered my new hoops then I may have been interested. 38mm suits my location, hilly and windy coastal towns. I'm in no doubt that the Enve's are a great set of wheels. I don't think you'll struggle selling them, good spec and there are plenty of punters like me who are desperate to improve their mediocre performance at any cost.