new build

fevmeister
fevmeister Posts: 353
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

You may see from my post count I have been active on the forum for a while, but over on the road side.

I have since had enough of road cycling and sold every last bit of my gear.

I'm looking at building a MTB to get me started and have about a grand to spend, preferably a little less, maybe £800?

What kind of bike could I build for that? I would like to use new or newly new parts, ideally.

Would I be better off buying an 'off the shelf' bike for that sort of budget?

Looking at Shimano groupset and full suspension set up.

Any ideas or opinions are most definitely welcome!!

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I would buy a used bike just under your budget. There are lots of good used bikes for £500ish.

Once you have it you could replace/upgrade as and when.
  • Thanks for the suggestion! Maybe if I go to a 1200 budget and could look at nearly new parts? Would that change things?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not really.......depends very much on what sort of MTB you want for yourself.

As an idea of what can be done, have a look at the link in my sig to my Carrera, that has cost me (as it stands) about £600, my next update will be a new wheelset I'm building myself for about £160 which will weigh in at under 1450g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    A few years back I bought a second hand but recently repainted Heckler frame and put new kit on it - had an OK xc full suss for a grand - to make it better I did eventually have to buy a good air shock too
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • What sort of riding you going to becdoing and where? Good used will deffo be the way to go, only you cam decide if you want full suss or hard tail. Me on that budget I'd go hard tail, you'll get more bang for your buck and won't have to think about worn bearings and a rear shock rebuild
    This is why!