Night riding - two little ones better than a big one?

San Marzano
San Marzano Posts: 132
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at buying a Cree lamp for night riding on a road bike.

What's best a large single lamp with 5 LEDS (for example) or the smaller type with two lamps side by side.

There's not much difference price wise but would welcome any assistance.

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    2 independent lights side by side gives you a backup.

5 LEDS may be a bit overkill - depends where you're going. One of my lights has 2 LEDs and the others (just as bright) have 1 - this has been fine for road rides and even a bit of offroad stuff (just not that quick)
  • ..I use 2 of the cheapo "magicshine" rip-offs from ebay, one pointed slightly down and fitted with a filter lens to give a more rectangular beam pattern, the other pointed more forward....I know the beam pattern can dazzle but to be honest, out here in the sticks, we don't meet a lot of traffic, and its simple case to just adjust the main beam for a few seconds by giving the unit a little twist to the left....
    ...also not convinced about the longevity of these units, (at £15 or so, I'm happy to get a season out of them) so 2 better than 1...
  • I run two. A Solarstorm which has 2 x U2 LEDs with an external power pack. And a 502b XM-L2 torch.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I got one with three CREE LED's in and only ever use 1 on the road, or 2 if its unlit.

I literally never use all three LED's at once because it looks about 5% brighter than two LED's whereas two LED's is 100% brighter than one.

You'll blind drivers with just one LED and need it pointing down all the time.

My kit was £23 from Amazon, but the batteries were a joke. So I got a 4x18650 and a 6x18650 "waterproof" packs from DX.com, again dirt cheap and last far longer than the crappy ones I got with the £23 kit, but it was worth £23 for the light alone.

The other thing is you get about 3 seconds warning before it shuts off. :lol: When I say 3 seconds I mean three seconds. The LED on the back of the light goes red, if it does, sometimes the light just shuts off. Hence two battery packs. I probably have about ten hours worth of light with 2 fully charged packs, or 5 hours if using 2 LED's.

You never need two LED's on the road. The throw on the light is insane. Can't even estimate what a light like this would cost if you chose to pay it, well over £100 for one this bright.
  • Maybe i should clarify - I meant

Solarstorm (two lamps) or one old type cree which is one lamp with up to 5 LED's in it.

Thanks for the help so far.

Cheers
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Solarstorm itself has CREE LED's in it from what I can tell. Its CREE or nothing as far as I know. :wink: All the super bright lights seem to have them.

I got one with three LED's and wish I had got a double one like that Solarstorm, yes, because the third LED barely makes any difference and uses miles more power, plus the lamp gets hot. Its not even a case of visibility, the third LED is redundant almost.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd get a back up torch just in case of failure of the main lamp. Get a torch one for your head - and its great for repairs at night too.
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    I've been looking for a commuting light recently and it's an absolute minefield. A lot of the stuff on ebay is from China and the sellers are talking jive about lumens and battery capacity. I don't want cheap chargers and batteries that are gonna set my house on fire.

This thread is a good place to start. The guys on here really know their stuff.
    From that thread this guy is the go-to for batteries and chargers.

I'm probably gonna go for a torch setup so I don't have to strap a battery pack to my frame. One of the main points that keeps coming up is don't buy batteries with 'Fire' in the name. :shock:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i never ride in the dark without a helmet mounted light, even just a fairly small lezyne micro drive. it's great for side visibility at junctions as you can look straight at the driver and by having something fairly small it doesn't blind anyone
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago