Deep rims on ebay

barbeluk1
barbeluk1 Posts: 14
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I'm new here so please go easy on me :D

I'd really like to try a pair of deeper rims on my bike to see if they speed me up. My Trek Domaine has the Bontrager wheels it came with.

Looking on ebay there seem to be some Cosmic wheels that wouldn't break the bank:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261596503507

Are these worth a go? Are they genuine? I'm not sure what weight your average wheel is?? Are these heavy?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Probably fake and will almost certainly make no noticable difference to your riding anyway.
  • They are fake... I might even report it
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yep, i say fakes as well, better safe than sorry. Its so hard with eBay and China as so many fake things come out of the place its not worth getting screwed (speaking from experience here!).
    Take a few moments to have a look around the forum here and you will find plenty of good advice on wheels which will be more suited to what you need.
    So what is it you are hoping for, better high speed or climbing speed? What weight are you? And i presume your budget is around the £250 area?
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Saw those yesterday and was going to report.

To a more experienced cyclist they are clearly fake but there will be too many people that will think its a great deal and too good to miss out on !!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Thanks all. I'll give them a miss!!!

I'm 12 stone and just under 6ft. I'm hoping for better flat speed mainly, I'd assumed deeper rims hindered your climbing? I've only been road cycling for 18 months so learning all the time...!

My budget is up to £400, I'm also looking for my other half as she's doing a lot of triathlons on a Specialized Amira Sport (DT Swiss wheels) and needs to up her pace on the bike. As we could well be buying two sets of wheels I need to be sensible!!

Thanks again,

Andy
  • barbeluk1 wrote:
    Thanks all. I'll give them a miss!!!

I'm 12 stone and just under 6ft. I'm hoping for better flat speed mainly, I'd assumed deeper rims hindered your climbing? I've only been road cycling for 18 months so learning all the time...!

My budget is up to £400, I'm also looking for my other half as she's doing a lot of triathlons on a Specialized Amira Sport (DT Swiss wheels) and needs to up her pace on the bike. As we could well be buying two sets of wheels I need to be sensible!!

Thanks again,

Andy

Planet X is your answer, clearly
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Training will up your pace - deep rim wheels won't make a noticeable difference.
  • Planet X is your answer, clearly

I've a friend who has tried Planet X wheels and said they kept going wonky. After having them straightened a few times, he sold them on ebay. Has anyone else heard of this sort of thing with Planet X wheels?

Thanks,

Andy
  • Low tension... if you know a wheel builder he can sort them for you in 5 minutes and they will stop "going wonky"
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I've used P/X wheels for years (both 50s and 80s) - never had a problem at all. Recommended.

They are also doing deals on Selcof carbon wheels at the mo'......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've got the Selcof ones in clincher variety. Also there are some good ones on offer at Superstar Components, and Merlin had Campag Bullets recently for a good price.

Do they make me go faster? Probably, marginally, on the flat. Seem to really fly on the descents, but that's maybe in my mind as I don't entirely trust the braking yet! (its actually pretty good in the dry at least, comparable with alloy rims, but the screeching makes me feel like a boy racer every time I stop at a junction).
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edited October 2014
    They are fake... I might even report it

of course they are fake, if you read the full descripion, in admittedly poor english, the seller basically says he can paint any logo on them, the only time "cosmic" is mentioned is on the photo.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    They are fake... I might even report it
    of course tey are fake, if you readfull descripion,in admitedly poor english the seller basically says he can paint any logo on them, the only timecosmisis mentioned is on the photo.

I realised that, but it's still illegal... there is some blurb about copyright and that particular image belongs to Mavic and only Mavic can use it and not the man on Ebay... in other words the stickers are the fake
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    It isn't even a similar type of wheel. A Carbone is a carbon fairing wheel, the eBay ones are full carbon clinchers.

I thought eBay were meant to be stamping this sort of thing out.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have reported the seller for selling fakes.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Got the name Mavic in the title of them too.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Have you noticed that the eBay description deliberately never mentions what model wheel these are? It just says 50mm carbon wheelset. Not Cosmic Carbone SLS. You would think a seller of such a niche item would know what they have.
    Also ask yourself why would they sell a £750 wheelset for £250? If it's too good to be true...
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies everyone. Glad I asked about the ebay wheels.

Merlin look to have some good deals. Which of the following would you go for:

http://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo- ... 70915.html

http://www.merlincycles.com/supra-rc38- ... 57765.html

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-rs8 ... 64547.html

I've never heard of Supra, are they reputable?

Many thanks,

Andy
  • I personally wouldn't want to go with any of those wheels really- weight wise there's not a lot in it between these and my £70 r501 every day wheels, which when I weighed them came out pretty much the same as the bog standard non branded bontrager wheels that came with my Trek 1.1.

These deeper section rims might be able to increase your top speed on flats a bit, and they would hopefully be stiffer than your current wheels but really when accelerating and climbing they'll probably not make that much difference.

For that kind of budget, I'd personally be looking for light and stiff shallow rims such as Mavic Kyserium elite or Shimano rs81 c24 and then pair with some decent rubber to help with acceleration and climbing that will make riding feel quicker. OK, so you might not be able to get up to the same speed on the flat sections, but it won't be that much of a difference in the real world.

If I had to choose one of the 3 listed, I would probably be leaning towards the Campag bullets as from the description/ reviews they seem to make a good compromise between weight, stiffness and aerodynamics although I'd want to do a bit more digging between those and the Shimano ones though (I'm actually a fan of 38mm rims, although from a quick search for the Supras it seems they use a generic Chinese rim that you could buy equivalents of and build up cheaper yourself).
  • What sort of freehub do you need? Two of those looks like Shimano and one seems to be Campag.
  • Campag wheels are available with either Campy or Shimano freehubs.
  • Campag wheels are available with either Campy or Shimano freehubs.

Yes I know but the ones on special offer at Merlin seem to only be available with Campag freehubs. So if the OP wants Shimano then this may not be as good a deal as it seems.
  • Thanks Gloomy. We've both got shimano cassettes so I guess we should rule out the Campags at Merlin...? I'm quite green on all this so don't really know what dictates the type of hub you need. We've got shimano rear duraliers too (ultegra).

Thanks,

Andy
  • barbeluk1 wrote:
    Thanks Gloomy. We've both got shimano cassettes so I guess we should rule out the Campags at Merlin...? I'm quite green on all this so don't really know what dictates the type of hub you need. We've got shimano rear duraliers too (ultegra).

Thanks,

Andy

The type of hub you need is fairly simple, there are only 2 (or 4) types which are easy to remember. Also, you don't really have to worry about the make of the hub itself, rather its freehub body, which is the part of the hub sticking out to the right of the wheel that your cassette slots onto.

Campag cassettes can only be fitted to the freehubs that are specified for Campagnolo casettes, and cannot be mixed with Shimano and SRAM.

Shimano freehubs can be used with either Shimano or SRAM cassettes*, as both manufacturers share the same spline pattern used to slot the cassette onto the hub.
    You can also mix and match Shimano and SRAM chains and cassettes as the distance moved by the derailleur for each gear shift is the same for both. However, you cannot mix shifters and derailleurs from the companies as the amount of cable pull is different.

Then, on top of this there are the new 11 speed groupsets which need a wider freehub body to accomodate the extra tooth. This is where you get the 11 speed compatible hubs from each manufacturer as well. The 11spd hubs can be used with 7,8,9,10 speed cassettes as well using a spacer (should be supplied with the wheel) but obviously the slightly older 10 speed freehubs can't take 11spd cassettes.

*There is at least one exception where Dura Ace 7700 wheels had the splines raised and can only take 10spd Dura Ace or Ultegra cassettes, but the cassettes themselves are still compatible with SRAM wheels as well.