Colnago C60 size 50s or 52s

tonyhogg
tonyhogg Posts: 115
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
My current bike is a scott cr1 and it fits me fine, its a 54cm compact, stock stem etc, no spacers removed.

But my measurements suggest I'd be more suited to a larger size frame? I'm currently looking at a Colnago c60 in a 50s (sloping) I've checked the geometry against my current bike and I'm confused. http://colnago.com/geometry-c60-2/?lang=en

inseam 84cm
trunk 61cm
forearm 34.5cm
arm 68cm
thigh 60.5cm
lower leg 56cm
sternal notch 144cm
total height 178cm

I've briefly tried larger frame sizes from different manufacturers and it feels like my weight is not distributed evenly, far too stretched out as if all the weight is on the handlebars.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    50s it would seem at first glance, reinforced if you are happy with a 54cm CR1.

That said, how many mm of spacers are you running on your 54cm CR1 and what length stem? (Also I assume it's not a flipped stem or and is a pretty regular deg rise?)
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The 52s appears to have very similar stack reach figures to the 54 scott cr1.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/images/up ... ometry.jpg
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    why not get a fitting on a bike made up to the geometry of the C60
    https://www.retul.com/retul-products/re ... -fit-bike/
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Bike fit. Don't leave it to chance on something as nice as a C60 ...
  • tonyhogg
    My current CR1 is a stock setup, stem isn't flipped, it's still got the spacers under the stem etc. I've had 3 different bike fits and I'm still no clearer really. I'm not keen on having a 50s Colnago with the seat pushed waaaaay back on the rails and lots of spacers under the stem, but I'm also worried about being too stretched out on a 56cm or 52s as Colnago refer to it???

I'm definitely checking measurements before I rush in and purchase, I might even buy a cheap bike with similar geo to the 56cm and see how it feels.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    tonyhogg wrote:
    My current CR1 is a stock setup, stem isn't flipped, it's still got the spacers under the stem etc. I've had 3 different bike fits and I'm still no clearer really. I'm not keen on having a 50s Colnago with the seat pushed waaaaay back on the rails and lots of spacers under the stem, but I'm also worried about being too stretched out on a 56cm or 52s as Colnago refer to it???

I'm definitely checking measurements before I rush in and purchase, I might even buy a cheap bike with similar geo to the 56cm and see how it feels.

Now you've said things like "I'm not keen on having a 50s Colnago with the seat pushed waaaaay back on the rails" and "My current CR1 is a stock setup, stem isn't flipped, it's still got the spacers under the stem" you are definitely right to be cautious, in short, you say you have had 3 different bike fits but it's clear you aren't too sure what your fit actually is.

Of those of us who do know every measurement of our fit some will have had a bike fit or fits, some haven't, some have adjusted away from a bike fit, but all have in common that they know to the mm where their fit puts them on a bike in relation to the bb (or have it on paper in numbers they don't understand). Once you have this information picking a frame size is easy.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    My measurements are:
    Inseam: 87.1
    Trunk: 65
    Forearm: 36.5
    Arm: 66.5
    Thigh: 62
    Lower Leg: 55.2
    Sternal Notch: 149.2
    Total Body Height: 178.0

And I ride a 56 T EP which is the same as a 52 S I would buy a 52s C60, the 50s would be too low at the front. However, the reach is the almost the same on both sizes. You have shorter legs so a 50s may fit you better. Its good to put a longer stem on a Colnago apparently probably because of the slacker HT angle.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I had the same disbelief - I always picked a 56 Large frame until I went for the C6) in a 52S..... check the stack and reach dimentions, but my gut feeling is you will be a 50S
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • tonyhogg
    I'm favouring the larger frame if the reach is nearly the same between both sizes 50s and 52s, but my inseam, inside leg is really not much more than 32", this has previously always put me off larger frame sizes in mountain bikes and other road bikes I've tried, there doesn't seem to be much if any stand over clearance on them.

I guess I'll just have to buy a cheap bike with a very similar geometry to the 52s colnago before I splash the cash :-(

My hands (small) and feet 7.5 seem very gimpy and small for my height also, would this have any impact on sizing? (don't laugh)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    that's what you need, your stack and reach ...
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    54 Scott Stack 565 Reach 383
    52s C60 Stack 565 Reach 384
  • +1 for if you don't already know what size you need before dropping a load of $$$ on a C60, cool your boots, take your time and get someone to help you get it right first time...
  • tonyhogg
    After a brief try of the 50s colnago, and discovering I had my saddle quite a bit too low on my scott cr1 in a 54cm, I've ordered the 52s colnago which equates to about a 56cm.

To get my ideal position on the smaller frame 50s, they would have been too many spacers required and the saddle too high up, just didn't seem right. I'm a little apprehensive about stepping up in frame size but I think it might be for the best, I hope so anyway.
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Am also unsure about Colnago sizing and was hoping for some advice.

I've got the opportunity to get a 2nd hand C59 frame, but won't be able to try before I buy. It's a 52S.
    I'm 184cm tall, 85cm inseam.
    Currently ride a 58 Canyon and geometry is closer to 56 in other brands. I have 180mm of seat post showing, post is setback and tip of saddle to centre of bars is 590mm. I've got a 110mm stem with only a 4mm top cap spacer. So a reasonable drop.

The dimensions are:

Stack: Colnago = 565, Canyon = 579
    Reach: Colnago = 384, Canyon = 395
    Seat tube: (ctr top) Colnago = 520, Canyon = 563
    Effective top tube: Colnago = 550, Canyon = 566
    Head tube: Colnago = 163, Canyon = 170

Am I kidding myself thinking that I will fit on the 52S, is anyone who's a similar height riding that size ?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a C59 54S which I suspect is the size you may require.

I am 186cm tall; 86cm inseam; top of saddle to centre of crank is 77.5cm; nose of saddle to centre of headset top cap 47.5cm. I also have a wilier cento uno xl which is approx 57cm frame and is a good fit for me. Hope the above dims help.

Peter