Shimano XT Rear Mech

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I'm looking to replace my Shimano Deore 10 speed rear mech on my 2013 Giant Anthem 29er ( 3x10) with a Shimano XT, my question is which XT model, looking at various on line retailers there are several different 10spd XT models, XT M786 Shadow+, XT M781, XT T780 & XT M773, all seem to come in different length cages, I take it it's a long cage for my bike?

So what's the differences and also is the Shadow + worth the extra?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shadow plus has a clutch which is useful for helping chain retention and keeping the chain under control. You probably need long cage but it depends on your gear ratios, go with the same length you currently have.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless you have a whacky cassette (road) or funny chainrings, 3x10 will need an extra long (in Shimano speak).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Rookie wrote:
    Unless you have a whacky cassette (road) or funny chainrings, 3x10 will need an extra long (in Shimano speak).

Which is SGS (in shimano babble)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • iwilldoit
    Hi All

Thanks for the replies, do any of you know the difference between the models XT M781, XT T780 & XT M773.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes. The one with 8 in is the latest version, t in is touring and 773 the updated shadow for when 10spd first released
  • iwilldoit
    Thank you very much for that.