Mavic Ksyrium SLR 2015 vs 2014

nonamed
nonamed Posts: 11
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello!
Does anyone know if there is any difference between Ksyrium SLR '14 and the newest for 2015 ??

Can not find any info.

Comments

• They now seem to be using the same rim as the limited edition 125th Anniversary Ksyrium 125 wheels got this year, visually looking slightly different in that, and the fact they now have Ksyrium stickers on them.

Rim is meant to be lighter and wider, but not sure how much, Mavic just say they are optimised for and now and come with 25mm tyres, on which the compound is meant to have changed - again to the same as the 125 edition got this year.
  • Off topic maybe, but I can't get my head round the fact the SLR are an aluminium wheelset that costs a grand... they are completely out of touch with the competition... there is nothing groundbraking or lifechanging worth paying that much extra over the so called "top of the range" of other makes, which typically falls at around 6-700 pounds for this type of wheels... essentially you are paying 300 pounds premium for a rim that should stay black longer
    left the forum March 2023
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Ahh, but Paolo your other favourite wheelmanufacturer now also has a black brake track alloy rim for a grand

Shamal Mille and Racing zero Nite - cool names aren't they?
  • bontie wrote:
    Ahh, but Paolo your other favourite wheelmanufacturer now also has a black brake track alloy rim for a grand

Shamal Mille and Racing zero Nite - cool names aren't they?

Where milles stands for a thousand... pounds... :lol:

Don't you just love European style price fixing?
  • nonamed wrote:
    Hello!
    Does anyone know if there is any difference between Ksyrium SLR '14 and the newest for 2015 ??

Can not find any info.

The main update with the new 2015 Ksyrium SLR is that it features the latest ISM 4D rim technology which shaves over 50g from its predecessor, reducing inertia without compromising strength. Efficiency has also improved with the smoother rim profile reducing drag and slightly increasing aerodynamics. The Ksyrium SLR wheelset is now 1355g compared to 1410g in 2014 (not including tyres).

I hope that helps.

Ride safe.

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager
  • Mike, Saw and featured your Road to Mount Blanc video on one of my posts. That was a pretty incredible ride you did. What model wheels did you ride during that trip? Steve
  • Thanks Steve! Glad you enjoyed the ride and very much appreciate your support. To be honest I still can't get my head around how I survived! I was using the Cosmic Carbone Ultimate wheels with Mavic Yksion Pro tubs. I know I may be a little bias but they really are a wheel that makes me smile from ear to ear every time (a special occasion wheel I have to say).

I've actually just announced today another project that I've been working on for some time now http://thecolcollective.com. You may like that too.

Ride safe.

Mike
    Mavic Community Manager
  • Mike Cotty wrote:
    The main update with the new 2015 Ksyrium SLR is that it features the latest ISM 4D rim technology which shaves over 50g from its predecessor, reducing inertia without compromising strength.
    Mike Cotty

I am not at all convinced that shaving alloy between holes comes without compromises. Two things that I have noticed

1) The Ksyrium with shaved alloy tend to pulse... meaning if you turn them in a stand with a gauge, you will notice the gauge oscillating in between every hole.

2) In the past Ksyrium rims didn't have a problem with cracks, which are now pretty common

I don't know how this inter spoke milling is in reality different from the milling which is common practice in the rest of the Ksyrium range. Apparently it is more rounded and less angular... not sure if this is going to change things or just responds to a new aesthetic trend