recommend me some enduro/am wheels for my new build

m_cozzy
m_cozzy Posts: 132
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
As title, Im pricing up a canfield balance but know nothing about wheels, who the decent manufactures are etc, they have always come with the complete bikes I've bought!
Spec so far:-
frame: canfield balance in LE fire (red) with ccdb air
fork: pike 160mm (maybe bos 170mm if I can stretch a little)
crank/gears: sram x01 11 speed
controls: renthal fatbars & 50mm duo stem
brakes: zee m640
misc items: reverb, seat clamp of some sort, headset, tyres unknown.

Think that all the expensive bits accounted for EXCEPT wheels (650b) ...
Feel free to critique the rest of the spec also.
Thanks
Banned from singletrack forum again :-)

Comments

• Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Personally im in the same situation, execpt i have my bike and i want new wheels, you have two main options in my mind, the option im going for is the ztr flow ex with hope hubs (this is what im building over xmas) or you could head the other way and go and pay a visit to Light Bicycle and get the carbon DH ones that seem good for the value, i just dont fancy carbon personally thats the only reason im not going for them! :D
  • Light Bicycle Carbon Rims on Hope Hubs. Lightweight, strong and reliable.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hope Tech Enduro. Bombproof, reliable, look good and good value.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    + one for LB on hope. My Hope Enduros weighed a ton and lasted about 10 minutes.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mine are tougher than my EX721 DH wheels and lighter than my old XM719's on Switch Evo hubs.
    What did you do to break yours in ten minutes?
    I'm good at destroying wheels and impressed with how straight my Hope wheels are.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Mine are tougher than my EX721 DH wheels and lighter than my old XM719's on Switch Evo hubs.
    What did you do to break yours in ten minutes?
    I'm good at destroying wheels and impressed with how straight my Hope wheels are.

Not a lot, a bit of messing about. 10 mins is an exaggeration but maybe 2 weeks is more like it they just developed a lack of straightness quicker than any wheel of that weight should. Something like a Sun Helix 27 will go much further for less weight.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.