Superstar Wheels...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
So I decided to go for the Superstar Carbon AM wheelset.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/a ... eelset.htm

But, as with everything mountain biking, why do there have to be so many bloody options?!

So I sent an email to Superstar...

Hi

I'm about to order a set of your Carbon AM wheels for a Kona Process 134.

Could you please look at the spec here...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kona-process-134-275-650b-2014/

... and advise on what options I need to order. Bear in mind that I'll be fitting a Pike to the front.

In particular I'm a little confused with the spec at the rear as, in the mbr review it states...
"The sturdy rear stays culminate at oversized hollow dropouts hiding a bolt-through 142x12mm axle." and the bike has a QR. These seem to be two different options in your drop downs on the order page.

I'm new to all this so any guidance you can give as to what I need front and back would be most helpful.

They replied...

Hello, here is all the info you need to work out what hub adaptors you need:

Front: Your options for front adaptors are as follow, QR 5mm and QR 9mm these both fit into standard MTB QR forks, examples below

QR 5mm: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/p ... mo-qrs.htm
QR 10mm: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/1 ... h-axle.htm

If you have 15mm or 20mm thru axles you will need to select the correct size for your forks.

Rear: Our rear hubs come in two standard sizes 135mm and 150mm.

Our 135mm hubs can be adapted to QR 5mm, Oversize 10mm QR, 12mm x 135mm and 12mm x142mm (Syntace X-12 System). You simply need to select the correct size from the drop down menu for your frame. 135mm hubs cannot be adapted to 150mm spacing.

For example the “12mm” option will fit 135mmx12mm frame spacing and the 142mmx12mm will fit 142x12mm Syntace frame spacing. If you are unsure what size 12mm axle your bike uses you need to measure the internal distance between your frame where the axle goes through your frame.

5mm QR and 10mm QR fit standard 135 QR rear drop outs.

Our 150mm hubs can only be adapted to 157mmx12mm spacing.

Yours

The superstar team

Mmm... I was kind of hoping they'd send a reply saying "You need to buy this, this and this..."

So, given the above, is there a simple answer to what I need to order from the options on the Superstar page? I'm guessing all of the above will make perfect sense those of you here who know your stuff.

Thanks
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They won't tell you what to buy, they don't know every bike and they would be funding any error.

Can you not look at your bike and figure what you have, a ruler will do it.

A 12mm rear does look a bit like a QR until you come to take a wheel out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You need QR15 front and 142x12 rear. It's all pretty clear in the link to your bike. Took seconds for me to find the info.
    If you didn't bother reading it, why would Superstar?
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    They won't tell you what to buy, they don't know every bike and they would be funding any error.

I guessed that they might not want to commit is case they were wrong.
    You need QR15 front and 142x12 rear. It's all pretty clear in the link to your bike. Took seconds for me to find the info.
    If you didn't bother reading it, why would Superstar?

I did read it - I was still confused! Lol! As I said in my email, there seems to be conflicting options in the drop-downs on the Superstar page. For the front they have a 15mm option and a separate QR option, but not a QR15 option. So, I understand that it's a QR15 at the front, but which of their options do I choose? Do I assume that the QR option is 15mm? And on the rear they have a 142x12 and a separate QR option, but not a QR142x12 option. Again, I understand that it's 142x12 at the back, but it's also a QR. So which of the available options do I choose?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    15 front, 142x12 rear, QR or not makes no difference to the wheel when it's a bolt through.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    15 front, 142x12 rear, QR or not makes no difference to the wheel when it's a bolt through.

Ah, thank you. That perfectly answers my confusion with the options, and the note that they sent back only served to make the options seem even more confusing.
  • Angus Young
    Oh bugger! I've just gone on their site to order and between now and yesterday they've sold out of the front 15mm option! Lol!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It is just an adaptor. I'd not let it be me up. Can be got at later date. Get another one in mean time which makes most sense to the fork type you could run.
  • Angus Young
    Well the Pike's been ordered, so what would I get? I actually don't mind waiting until they get more in as I have a second round of upgrades planned (Cane Creek Inline, Stealth Reverb, 1x10) so the wheels can come then.
  • Angus Young
    Oh bugger! I've just gone on their site to order and between now and yesterday they've sold out of the front 15mm option! Lol!

So I emailed them to find out when they'd be getting more in and although they've officially run out they did have what they described as 'spares' so they've dug one of those out and me wheels are on their way. Pike, Nukeproof carbon bars and Nano Techs are also on their way. Next week's going to be fun!

Thanks for the help folks.