Garmin Edge 510 - Potentially Stupid Questions

bobmcstuff
bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Apologies if the answer to this should be obvious or if I've missed it on here:

Handtec have the Edge 510 Performance bundle for £226 which is cheap enough that I am seriously considering getting one.

Unfortunately I don't currently have a functioning computer/laptop of my own (I'm relying on a work laptop which is locked down for program installs and even though I asked them nicely they won't let me have Garmin Connect :D )

The blurb makes it sound like activities can be uploaded wirelessly using the mobile app so on the face of it I wouldn't need a computer most of the time anyway.

However, I have a sneaking suspicion that I would need a laptop for things like initial setup and firmware updates etc.. Is that the case? I'd rather not have to fork out for a new laptop as this obviously increases the costs somewhat...

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Yes it will upload your rides wireless so no need for a computer, although you will need to have a Garmin Connect account and register your Gamin serial number so it can upload the rides to your profile etc, you can do this from a friends/work computer or mobile phone with web access.
    you don't need a program to run on the computer its web based so if you can access the websites you should be fine :)

No you will not need to connect it to a computer to set it up as it will work straight out of the box, but you will need to update the firmware from a computer if you want to, but you should be able to do this from a friends computer
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    You can get an 800 or 810 for much the same price if you shop around. Check out Handtac.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    The 500 with performance pack can be had for about £150 on Handtec if your not too fussed on colour.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    camerauk wrote:
    Yes it will upload your rides wireless so no need for a computer, although you will need to have a Garmin Connect account and register your Gamin serial number so it can upload the rides to your profile etc, you can do this from a friends/work computer or mobile phone with web access.

Sorry for the brief hijack - but with this wireless upload via a phone's data contract, is it only to garmin's site - or can you push it through to strava?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    g00se wrote:
    camerauk wrote:

Sorry for the brief hijack - but with this wireless upload via a phone's data contract, is it only to garmin's site - or can you push it through to strava?

Not a hijack at all, that's a good question :D
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    You can now link your Garmin account to your Strava account so when you upload it to Garmin it will get automatically uploaded to your Strava account within a few minutes normally
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    As the Edge 500 has been suggested it is worth looking into whether it can be paired with your phone to enable an upload to the Garmin Website.

With wireless upload, the data is pushed through to Strava and a few other sites almost immediately.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    rs6mra1 wrote:
    As the Edge 500 has been suggested it is worth looking into whether it can be paired with your phone to enable an upload to the Garmin Website.

With wireless upload, the data is pushed through to Strava and a few other sites almost immediately.

The x00 units have to be plugged in to upload/download data. The x10 and 1000 models do not - they can operate using Garmin Connect on a smart phone or tablet.

Strava can link through with Garmin Connect - so Garmin send your data files to Strava when they're uploaded - you can then view/edit them in Strava too.

I believe you do need a computer for firmware upgrades, but TBH, you don't really need to do this often (can't remember the last time I did one) - so accessing a friends/family computer will be enough.