Carrera Luna Girls Mountain Bike 2014-20" @£145 - should I?

TowerRider
TowerRider Posts: 430
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, my daughter has outgrown her bike and I am looking for a 20" wheel size bike and wondered what you thought of the Carrera Luna Girls Mountain Bike 2014 - 20" IF I could get it for £145 instead of £199
Does the forum have another favourite for a girls bike?

Just noticed that this was allegedly £240 but now half price - is it better than the Luna?
Apollo Stellar Girls Mountain Bike -20"

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Does it come with a basket and tassels on the bars?
  • She won't care about that ;) Got them in the shed from her last bike. Happy with just the Camelbak on her back.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The stellar is going to weigh a ton, I doubt she'd be able to ride it up any hill, I'd go with the Luna, it's ahead which saves a few grams and means you can swap on any better quality spares you may have. Full suspension at that price point just adds weight and looses pedalling power unless you lock it almost solid making having it pointless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My 6 year old daughter rides a 20" Blast as it was her elder brothers, same as the Luna but blue for boys, she has no trouble riding it and loves the fact she now has gears instead of the single speed 16" she was riding, I did swap the gripshift for rapid fire though straight from Halfords as the son couldn't get on with the grip shifting at all

HTH
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • I'd get a second hand Islabike Beinn 20, they are kilos less and you'll get most of your money back when the kids grow out of it in a year or 2.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look at Frog bikes, cheaper than Islabike, but also designed for kids.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • THANKS a lot for all the replies. Some other options to look at. Thanks again.
  • I'm picking up a luna for my daughter this afternoon. I did plenty of internet research and found nothing but praise for it.

The Apollo has a steel frame (Luna =Alloy) and pretty pointless rear sus - I would guess it'll weigh a ton
  • My daughter has just gone from a 20" Luna to a 24" Frog Bike. The Luna was fine and she got on really well with it both on and off road so I would have no problem recommending it.

The Frog bike she has now is loads better than the equivalent 24" Luna and she is more serious about her riding now. I didn't spend the extra to get an Isla bike then as I wasn't convinced she would look after it. Now I know she will and that she enjoys riding it was worth spending the extra.

Sold the Luna for £70 (good condition) so lost about £100 on it. The Frog cost £260 and I doubt I will lose £100 when I sell it in 2 years.
  • Glos'White wrote:
    I'm picking up a luna for my daughter this afternoon. I did plenty of internet research and found nothing but praise for it.
    Cheers.
  • Are there better bikes than the Luna? Of course there are.

However, for £145, the Luna is a decent bike for the money!

My daughter had one and it was fine for her needs at the time.