How much is this actually worth?

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/specialized-enduro-expert/1082950852

A friend of mine wants to sell - I'm thinking about making him an offer etc...

He has no clue about it, check out the front mudguard mounting for eg...

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    "I'm very reluctant to sell this beauty"

Lol. Quite possibly one of the most hideous bikes.......
  • daddy0
    Ouija wrote:
    "I'm very reluctant to sell this beauty"

Lol. Quite possibly one of the most hideous bikes.......

Haha - yup I guess you're right. I don't really want it, I'd like a hardtail, but if I can get it off him super cheap then would be silly to say no.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its worth as much as you are willing to pay.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • £600!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    As scrap metal? By the kilo, probably quite a lot.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rubertoe wrote:
    Not quite.

I think it is worth whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay.

What is wrong with how the front mudguard is mounted? I thought that where you mount that type of mudguard.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Not quite.

I think it is worth whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay.

What is wrong with how the front mudguard is mounted? I thought that where you mount that type of mudguard.

That's where the bosses on my Orange are positioned specifically for mounting that type of mudguard.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daddy0
    So I went to see "this beauty".

I mentioned the mudguards as they were pushing the gear cables onto the frame, looks like they were the only thing holding the rear hydraulic pipe thingy in place...

I have worked out that the bike is probably a 2003 Specialized Enduro Expert:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2003/2003enduro/enduroexpert#specs

Its in fair nick considering its age, i.e. its knackered. Needs new cables, chain, grips, saddle. Tyres look OK, but were flat, and its been in a shed for over a year, so might need new tubes. Think the wheels have been upgraded - they're Mavic hubs?! Forks are Rocksshox Psylo. Frame has a few scuffs and some heavy wear where it looks like the chain has come off a few too many times.

Theres a newer one on Gumtree in better condition and ready to ride for £190. So how much should I offer my mate for it do you think? Or would you not bother?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    £100?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    it is a worthless POS and you would be advised to steer clear. £100 would be generous.

Seriously dude, MTB's have moved on so much since that was built it's incredible. That doesn't look like the original or right length travel fork cos the head angle is far too steep, it should be much slacker.

Also those 4-bar suspensions are famous for the bearings going. There are about a dozen separate bearings that need to be replaced too if you want to fix it, circa £50 for a kit as well. If they are shot you will feel the rear triangle waggling about if you move it laterally.

Spend £500 on a decent modern hardtail if you really want to try MTB
    FCN = 4
  • daddy0
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    it is a worthless POS and you would be advised to steer clear. £100 would be generous.

Seriously dude, MTB's have moved on so much since that was built it's incredible. That doesn't look like the original or right length travel fork cos the head angle is far too steep, it should be much slacker.

Also those 4-bar suspensions are famous for the bearings going. There are about a dozen separate bearings that need to be replaced too if you want to fix it, circa £50 for a kit as well. If they are shot you will feel the rear triangle waggling about if you move it laterally.

Spend £500 on a decent modern hardtail if you really want to try MTB

Cool, cheers for the info. When I first asked I was under the impression that it was only a couple of years old - but having done a bit of research it looks like a 2003 model...

I was looking at getting an entry level MTB a few months ago, but a friend who rides them told me I'd need to spend at least £1000 to get something with decent forks. What £500 MTBs are decent in your opinion?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The go to option at £500 is the Rockrider 8.1 , although the Voodoo Hoodoo is worth a look it's been downgraded this year, for circa £350 you have the Calibre two.two, the Rockrider 520 and the Voodoo Bantu, the Carrera Vulcan also rides fairly well.

As an example of how dated that Spesh is, compare to my sons RC20 (link in sig) that is just 3 years younger.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    I got a brand new Whyte 801 for £480 a couple of months back. As entry level MTBs go it's not a bad option by any means.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
This discussion has been closed.