Accredited cycle mechanic's course

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all

I need to take an accredited cycle mechanic's course - ie one that gives you a recognised qualification and a certificate so that you can show your employer you are suitably qualified.

Location of the course isn't too much of a problem but it must be very good.

Has anyone any experience or recommendations of courses (or any to avoid!).

Many thanks

M
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Cycle Systems Academy as run by Sean Lally. Very respected but not that cheap.

http://www.cycle-systems.co.uk/cycle-maintenance-training-courses
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Afternoon all

I need to take an accredited cycle mechanic's course - ie one that gives you a recognised qualification and a certificate so that you can show your employer you are suitably qualified.

Many thanks

M

Where are you based?
  • Cytech are well respected and has venues all over.....

http://www.cytech.uk.com/

I was thinking of doing a course myself for a possible career change.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Matthewfalle
    Afternoon all

Many thanks

M

Where are you based?

I'm down South but am Army so they will pay for me to go, essentially, anywhere that does the best course at the best price.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Cheers guys - I've been looking at Cytech on the net but Sean Lally also looks good.

Calpol: have you done this course/know anyone who has? As you can imagine, to get this through chain of command I have to have a pretty good business plan!

Thank you very much for your help.

M

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Cytech 2 is the one to have, normally only availab le for the trade and not for private citizens... cytech 1 is pretty pointless, you might be just about able to replace your brake pads after that
    left the forum March 2023
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    check out the Bike Inn in Spalding, Lincs OP, City and Guilds courses available.
  • Matthewfalle
    Cool - thank you.

Cytech level 2 open to everybody through ATG Training and one other, unfortunately the Bike Inn course is running whilst I'm being posted abroad - looks good though.

Anyone ever used ATG training?

Ta muchly

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I looked at these myself purely from the standpoint of having a bit of paper that says' you were competent enough to pass a recognised course of training. All to cover me for litigation issues (should one ever occur) and reduce public liability costs should I start the business. There's nothing on the Cytech 2 course that I haven't done already so it all seems a lot of money and travelling for a paper exercise.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    I attended the2 day Velotech course at Calshot, and thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt LOADS, as did the other 5 people on the course.

Superb instructor as well, and 80% hands on I would say.

2 day course included, servicing wheel hub bearings, bleeding/changing the fluid in hydraulic brakes, adjusting rim brakes, indexing gears from scratch, setting up brakes from scratch, removing crankets and cassettes.
    Didn't get to play with headsets or bottom brackets, but have since fitted a headset, and removing a conventional BB is a piece of cake anyway.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/calshot/bike_maintenance.htm
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    If you have ELC's to use from the Army, CycleSystems in London run a residential course that gets you level 3 quals and you can use your ELC. They know all about military funding so you get the most from your resettlement money. Call them up.
  • Matthewfalle
    Brilliant stuff - thank you very much all round.

S'worth - that's cool - thank you. I'll give them a call and see what they say: if they are familiar with the hoops and bells we have to jump through it makes life so much easier.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.