Really annoying chain slap..

J_Hale
J_Hale Posts: 26
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Just a quick question..

How in the hell do I stop my chain etc making such a racket out on the trails? Ive got a neoprene chain guard thing but it still slaps all over the place when getting abit spirited downhill, mine makes so much more noise than anyone else's.

Any advice?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bike is a?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Put it in the biggest ring at the front to lit the chain away from the stay and ad a little tension via the rear mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    And if your a religious non cross chainer who never attempst to go to the big/big combinations then you can simply shorten the chain a little.

I never set my chain length so the derailleur is correct in the big/big combo (like your supposed to) but set it so it's correct in the big front and 4th from biggest cassette ring at the back as i'd never try and climb past this point before jumping to the middle ring at the front (used to cross chain when i was a noob, but i learned my lesson after wearing out too many chains and cassettes prematurely over the years). The end result is a slightly shorter, tighter chain that doesn't jump about and slap things and gives more reliable shifting.

Wouldn't let my friends ride my mountain bike though, as they do cross chain and would end up ripping my derailleur off.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Use an old innertube instead of a neoprene chain stay protector, much more effective.
    You could use a Bionicon chain guide or if you have 10 speed fit a mech with a clutch.
  • whitey161
    whitey161 Posts: 110
    get a rear derraileur with a clutch. So a SRAM type 2 or Shimano shadow+.
    Ive been using my brothers bike while mine is being sprayed and it doesnt have a clucth mech, mine does. God did i notice how loud it was!! sounds like the thing is going to rattle to bits!!!
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Use an old innertube instead of a neoprene chain stay protector, much more effective.

You think? :?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    For the sake of £20 you can get a decent mech with a clutch on it. (Assuming you run Shimano)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

In that you don't hear a noise when it slaps, yes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    For the sake of £20 you can get a decent mech with a clutch on it. (Assuming you run Shimano)

SRAM have clutch mechs as well as Shimano but you need 10 speed to run Shimano or SRAM.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Found this while trying to eliminate chain slap:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS1jQ9qJ_uQ
    I made one but never used it, slipping into big front chainring seems to quieten things down and i dont really notice it anymore!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Big chain rings are the work of satan. I don't think I have had one in five years now. Wouldn't ever go back to more than one front chain ring.
    Getting in the big doesn't really help when you need to crank out of tight turns or get up short, sharp uphill sections in the middle of a descent.
    A lot of the chain noise usually comes from the chain rattling on the front mech.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    The Rookie wrote:

They're good, but it isn't pleasant to take them off after more than a year, muddy/sh*tty water gets in and smells bad.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Get some 15mm pipe from plumb centre, comes in 3 metre lengths. Put it in the two biggest rings. Measure in 1cm in from where the chain meets the teeth so get the upper length. Then the same with the bottom. Break the chain with a chain tool. Thread the tubes onto the chain and reconnect. Jobs a good un. Chain tubes. :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    Lewis A wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

They're good, but it isn't pleasant to take them off after more than a year, muddy/sh*tty water gets in and smells bad.

I have never had that problem. Wrap it tight and water shouldn't get in.
  • J_Hale
    J_Hale Posts: 26
    Thanks for all the advice!

I'll whack an inner tube around my frame, keep the bugger on the big ring and probably invest in a clutched mech!

I've been thinking of going 1x10 aswell, would I need a chain guide/tensioner to keep things running smooth?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    J_Hale wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice!

I'll whack an inner tube around my frame, keep the bugger on the big ring and probably invest in a clutched mech!

I've been thinking of going 1x10 aswell, would I need a chain guide/tensioner to keep things running smooth?

No if you get a NW ring and a clutch mech - to be honest I run mine with the clutch off most of the time and it still stays on fine. Noise wise, some bikes are just louder than others - my Bronson was a pretty quiet bike on rough stuff even with 3x10 - with 1x10 its whisper quiet vs the blood pounding in my ears anyway!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I run mine with the clutch off most of the time and it still stays on fine.

Is there some advantage to running with the clutch off?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc

I have found that it shifts just as well with the clutch on or off. The only disadvantage to having the clutch on is it does have a minor effect on the rear suspension because my bike has a lot of chain growth on full compression.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Wrong post!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068

I have found that it shifts just as well with the clutch on or off. The only disadvantage to having the clutch on is it does have a minor effect on the rear suspension because my bike has a lot of chain growth on full compression.

I find mine shifts slicker with the clutch off - so was trying it off and didn't have any issues. In theory it doesnt effect shifting and may have been in my head but definitely seemed easier going through the replacement 16t and 42t on my range expanded cassette.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    I run a N/W - thick/thin chain ring with clutched rear mech (wide ratio Zee) and even with the clutch on it shifts on the button every time. Its all in the head and the thumb ... with the clutch on you have to press a little harder to move the mech is all.
    Since going clutched mech there is hardly any chain slap, theres still a little in the two high gears where the chain sits so close to the chain stay but a rubber protector does its job there and keeps the noise down.

So, a clutched rear mech and a soft/rubber protector will make things nice and quiet :)