Neglected boiler

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Just had a Gas Safe guy come 'round and declare my boiler as unsafe. I'm in a rented place and the landlord / letting agents have never done any maintenance work on it. The engineer was a little shocked at this.

Anyone know what my legal position is on this?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    edited October 2014
    Landlord is responsible - should be ensuring a 12 month safety check is carried out.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/GAS/domestic/faqlandlord.htm

Also should supply you with alternative heating:
    If a gas appliance has been switched off by a Gas Safe registered engineer it is because it is unsafe and should not be used. No matter how inconvenient the situation is for the tenant such action helps to ensure their safety. If a heating appliance has been disconnected then you must provide your tenant with emergency heating, for more information on this contact your local authority whilst arranging for appropriate remedial work by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

... and your rights/duties are here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/GAS/domestic/faqtenant.htm
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yep totally landlord's fault and problem.

Many landlords now disconnect gas completely 'cos it's such a hassle. The recent changes to inspection rules just made things worse.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I was going to suggest taking her out for dinner and listening to what she says.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was going to suggest taking her out for dinner and pretend to be listening to what she says.

ftfy

:D
  • seajays
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was going to suggest taking her out for dinner and listening to what she says.

My reaction:

:? :?: … [tick, tick] …

:| :?: … [tick, tick] …

:shock: :idea: [tick, tick] …

:):D:lol::mrgreen:

…I get there in the end!
    My Strava
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Qube wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was going to suggest taking her out for dinner and pretend to be listening to what she says.

ftfy

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Kieran_Burns
    Thanks for the advice and a laugh. Phoned the letting agents and kept using the terms "legal requirement" "law broken" it was all good stuff....

(edit: https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/lgsr1 .... that could be fun)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Qube wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

ftfy

Add on....and give her a right good seeing to.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    As others have said, it's the landlords' responsibility to sort out. When the safety check is due on the boiler in my flat the LL calls or texts me and leaves it up to me to arrange a suitable date with the plumber to visit.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Just had a Gas Safe guy come 'round and declare my boiler as unsafe. I'm in a rented place and the landlord / letting agents have never done any maintenance work on it. The engineer was a little shocked at this.

Anyone know what my legal position is on this?
    Has it been disconnected? Or has it failed on some checks - not the same thing.

A boiler can fail safety checks but still be a completely legal installation. This is because they measure the current installation against today's standard even though the boiler was probably installed to a different set of standards.

In the house I let for example - about 5 years ago added a bracket half way along a boiler flue because the span between brackets was too long due to the modern standard being tighter. I did not HAVE to make the change though. Also on this year's report I've been asked to removed a section of boxing which covers the flue to make it look tidier - new standard states it is not ok to hide the flue in the manner mine is hidden. Again I'm not forced to do the work but will do so anyway.

Anyway none of this may apply to yourself - if it is genuinely unsafe then I hope it is disconnected!

As for landlords disconnected gas and going leccy only - not surprised. It is a nightmare getting a proper answer from Gas (British Gas etc) engineers about which of the notices or warnings on the report must be done and which are advisory.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's got a bloody big sticker on it and I was required to give my permission for the gas feed to be turned off.

I've told the letting agents and no reply as yet... not going to be long before that form gets filled in and they face a call from the HSE....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    It's got a bloody big sticker on it and I was required to give my permission for the gas feed to be turned off.

I've told the letting agents and no reply as yet... not going to be long before that form gets filled in and they face a call from the HSE....

Why hasn't it been filled in already?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Giving them chance - which has just run out.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    My wife's boyfriend (before she met me) was killed by a faulty gas boiler that was leaking poisonous fumes into the house.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    dodgy wrote:
    My wife's boyfriend (before she met me) was killed by a faulty gas boiler that was leaking poisonous fumes into the house.

Always a good idea to have a CO detector in the house ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    dodgy wrote:
    Fortunately my own situation didn't result in such a tragedy, but when we moved into our student house (back in the day), my housemates and I complained of headaches and tiredness for weeks. The landlord didn't listen as the boiler had been inspected and certified in the week before we moved in.

We continued to complain and eventually the landlord gave in and got a technician to look at it, to find there was a massive whole in it and it was leaning CO into the house. It wasn't too much exaggeration to say we could have all been killed.

To make matters worse, the landlord was one of my housemate' dad!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seajays
    Slowbike wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

This. They're not that expensive, and could save your life. Unlike a fire, (where if you're awake you'll probably smell the smoke before a smoke alarm goes off), with carbon monoxide poisoning, you may never know.
    My Strava
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just to add a fun twist to the tale. The landlord is Gas Safe Registered... So he's obviously going to come along and 'fix' the boiler.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I hope you get it fixed asap KB.

If it does all go pear-shaped tho and you end up on the wrong end of a dose of CO poisoning, before it happens can you arrange for your bikes to be sent via internal post to me?

Thx in advance; all the best & all that obvs.

:wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Just to add a fun twist to the tale. The landlord is Gas Safe Registered... So he's obviously going to come along and 'fix' the boiler.

I'm sure you're already on this, but you can check this against the Gas Safe Register's database

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/check_a_business_or_engineer.aspx
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    rjsterry wrote:

I'm sure you're already on this, but you can check this against the Gas Safe Register's database

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/check_a_business_or_engineer.aspx

I've checked and he is.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • slowbike
    and you have a carbon monoxide alarm?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Nope
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    CiB wrote:
    If it does all go pear-shaped tho and you end up on the wrong end of a dose of CO poisoning, before it happens can you arrange for your bikes to be sent via internal post to me?
    Nope
    2nd dibs on the bikes please!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Slowbike wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

I lost 4 friends to CO poisoning some years back, well worth having one.
  • slowbike
    TGOTB wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Nope
    2nd dibs on the bikes please!

Anyone got dibs on the cape?!

and can we have a ceremonial burning of the underpants? :)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    and can we have a ceremonial burning of the underpants? :)

That's no way to speak of his cremation!
  • Kieran_Burns
    It worrys me how well you remember my posts...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Landlord has been 'round, replacing boiler and left alternate heating.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X