Should I buy a Canyon?

CptMuppet
CptMuppet Posts: 32
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Help needed please on buying a Canyon Bike. I am looking at their budget bikes The Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon.
Firstly are they any good, reading the specs they seem good to me, but compared to my last bike anything would look good.
Secondly I have no experience with buying a 29er? I went through their guide to select the right frame size and it says Medium (18.5in) I am 6ft.
I like the look of the bigger tires but don’t really want an overly heavy bike.
I have read reviews about their customer service but from my experience that’s the same whenever you buy online.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    90 pages of light reading.
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12789920
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Had just gone off to find that thread to link it!

Canyon always seem to get pretty good reviews in the press - might consider one for my next bike.
  • absolutley go for it,you wont be disappointed . i got a grand canyon in the summer ,best bike i ve had by far. if you ve never rode a 29er try one if you can because the speed over ground is impressive .i doubt you will get a better bike for the cash and the model i got is on sale at £854 now .
  • I have a Canyon Nerve and the bike itself is great. Really light frame, rides really well and does everything you ask of it.

However, I need a part. Just a bolt and a bearing for the rear suspension pivot so I called them to enquire as to how I may get hold of what I need.

They told me to email them so I did. No response.

I emailed them again, this time using the web contact form. Still no response.

On both occasions I received an automated reply saying they'd get back to be within 48 hours.

Two months later... I'm still waiting.

It's a good job I have other bikes because otherwise I'd be a bit stuffed.

I was actually going to buy a full bearing, bush and bolt kit to replace everything but alas they've not got back to me so my bike is useless. It's actually stripped back to every nut and bolt at the moment awaiting rebuilding but part of me is tempted to box it up and send it to them with a snotty note.

So, would I buy another? In short, No. What's the use in a bike, no matter how good value for money it is, if you can't easily buy replacement parts?

Think carefully before buying a Canyon.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My experience of Canyon's customer service is the polar opposite of the above. Frame crack sorted quickly, other issues sorted in a couple of emails; I'd have one again.
  • Many Thanks, what first caught my eye on these was the weight. But looking now the only one I can afford is the Yellowstone there is no stock of the others and there is a lengthy lead time. Is it worth me still going with the Yellowstone, or is there something similar you guys would recommend