Switching To Campag.... (nolo)

graven2010
graven2010 Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
Hi, I am looking for some advice on my switch to campag.... I have been in need of a new groupset recently due to wear and tear. Ive bought a 10 speed Campagnolo Veloce groupset...... I currently have a 2011Chris Boardman Race road bike with FSA Vero crank, with Shimano sora Shifters and Mech, along side Shimano road cassette. Im also running Mavic cxp22 wheels which originally came on the bike..... Does anybody know of any problems that im likely to run into making my switch........ Like for example, will I need to buy a Campagnolo wheelset to fit the Veloce cassette.... Any advice will be helpful and appreciated.... :?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You'll need to switch all the bits except the chainset. You could possibly try and get a new Campagnolo freehub for the wheels or, if you can still get them, a cassette with Campagnolo spacing but for Shimano freehub. Miche , Ambrosio or Bbb used to do one I think.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You'll need to switch all the bits except the chainset. You could possibly try and get a new Campagnolo freehub for the wheels or, if you can still get them, a cassette with Campagnolo spacing but for Shimano freehub. Miche , Ambrosio or Bbb used to do one I think.

Didn't know such in intelligent solution existed! Where might one get such a thing?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I'm sure other places sell these but...

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/ambrosio ... 53016.html
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just a though - if the Mavics you have are nearly 4 years old, check them for wear on the rims. It may be that they're soon for replacement. In which case, save the money on the shimano-splined cassette and get some new wheels too.
  • The main problem is cost - the trick is not buying Shimano in the first place. ;)

But if you are intent on replacing everything on your bike with Campag, the main obstacle is the rear hub. A Jtek Shiftmate is one way to solve this - by allowing you to use your existing cassette (and therefore wheel) for now. I'd really hope the rim isn't worn out after only 4 years. Don't take this to mean that doing this will definitely be cost effective, though.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd really hope the rim isn't worn out after only 4 years.

Why ever not. Wheels don't wear out due to time - they wear out due to mileage. You can do a lot of miles in 4 years.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've got some Mavic Open Pros - had them two years, 5000 miles and the front is just about done. I think it's a mix of wet riding and a period with really abrasive pads that had it in for them. I reckon it won't see the spring.

Anyway - different conditions can have different effects on rims so keep an eye on their condition.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I'd really hope the rim isn't worn out after only 4 years.

Why ever not. Wheels don't wear out due to time - they wear out due to mileage. You can do a lot of miles in 4 years.

You can, but not everyone does. I don't tend to assume that people that come on here asking basic questions are doing 10k+ each year in all weathers! The back is also the less used brake surface, and it's a pretty sturdy rim by the looks; even if not comparable to old touring hardware.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Considering the ease with which you can put a good Shimano groupset on (105 or Ultegra), I am wondering why you are choosing to go down the Veloce route?

The Veloce on my gf's old Via Nirone was truly awful.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    In what way,, care to explain ?? I'd say setting up. Any groupset set up wrong will be truly rubbish
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • In what way,, care to explain ?? I'd say setting up. Any groupset set up wrong will be truly rubbish

This - Veloce is decent stuff.