Fitted bb chainguide, pedals won't turn

xdeity
xdeity Posts: 7
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I've just fitted a BB chain guide to my Mongoose Teocali, who I fitted it there were no spacers between the bb and the frame. Having tightened it all back up I now realise that the non drive side pedal has been brought closer to the frame so much that it is touching and will no longer turn.
The bb is a shimano BBES30 bc1.37x24.

Obviously this is an issue, I need the chainguide because I keep losing my chain on my 1x9 setup but I need to pedal even more lol.
Any ideas on what I can do? Can I get a longer bb? Is there some way of spacing the non drive pedal further out?

Anything anyone can suggest, because I built the bike up myself with little experience and slthough I did a reasonable job and it normally rides pretty well, I'm at the end of my skills

Many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so octalink BB?

there are no spacers used.

BB Mount device?
    you Need the E Version of the BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    You'll need to either get a new BB with a longer spindle (although this will move the cranks and chainrings outwards, which may adversely affect the "chainline") or get an "e-type" version of the BB with the correct spindle length. (The e-type BBs have an offset flange on the driveside which allows for the thickness of the fixing plate of the e-type derailleurs (or in this case, your chainguide).