Majorca in early February

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited October 2014 in Tour & expedition
Just got back from two days in Majorca and looking to go back and drag myself up Puig Major again. Was pretty disappointed i had to stop twice on the way up and have blamed the tank of a bike that i had hired :lol:

Due to other commitments the only time i can get away with going next year before summer is the 1st weekend of Feb.

Looking to stay in Santa Ponsa and have found a place that hires Canyon bikes so no excuse on Puig this time round.

Anybody else been this time of the year ? Im guessing the resort will be pretty dead but is anything going to be open ?? and is leg/arm warmers and base layer the sort of gear i will need ?
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I've never been. But I was in Lanzarote in Feb 2013 and some friends of mine decided to go to Majorca at the same time (first week in Feb).

It snowed!

However, that's very unusual for Majorca, but something to bear in mind.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Don't Team Sky and the likes usually start visiting in February? They look pretty well wrapped up, but they are there.

Ive used Rad International in Santa Ponsa before, decent bikes, but once in Santa Ponsa was enough for me - Alcudia, Pollenca, Soller are way better positioned for cycling and also have more to offer on an evening.

We went to Santa Ponsa and Alcudia the last 2 Aprils, Santa Ponsa had very little open - couple of restaurants and the hotel restaurants, but with the place being a mini-Benidorm of British owned eateries none of those were open. Alcudia at the same time had nearly all of its restaurants and bars open. (In April as I say)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • On one of my 1st trips to Majorca I stayed in Santa Ponsa. Wasn't hugely impressed really.

If you want to be in the South, why not stay in Palma? So much more to do, everything is open and much more easy on the eye!

I have hired excellent Canyons - it's a company that is based about 10km NE of the airport, but they also have a shop in Palma not far from Corte Ingles (big department store).
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    We are always there in February. This year is was between 15 and 19 degrees and sunny. For me that is shirt and shorts. no arm warmers, occasional gilet.

I always stay in Palma.
  • Tjgoodhew
    On one of my 1st trips to Majorca I stayed in Santa Ponsa. Wasn't hugely impressed really.

If you want to be in the South, why not stay in Palma? So much more to do, everything is open and much more easy on the eye!

I have hired excellent Canyons - it's a company that is based about 10km NE of the airport, but they also have a shop in Palma not far from Corte Ingles (big department store).

I am purely going somewhere that i can hire a good quality bike from thats easy and cheap to get to from the airport. Hired from Embat Ciclos on my last visit and found the bike to be pretty shabby especially for the 25 Euros a day and 10 euro cleaning charge - especially when the bike i received was far from clean !!

Any link or info to this shop in Palma would be great
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Berganti Bikes is less than ten minutes from the airport on the way into Palma. No cleaning charge, nice carbon bikes with Ultrgra 11 speed. 15€ a day.

This is mine from earlier this year.

7c163d400649aae24eed22354a8b44f5.jpg
  • Tjgoodhew wrote:
    On one of my 1st trips to Majorca I stayed in Santa Ponsa. Wasn't hugely impressed really.

I am purely going somewhere that i can hire a good quality bike from thats easy and cheap to get to from the airport. Hired from Embat Ciclos on my last visit and found the bike to be pretty shabby especially for the 25 Euros a day and 10 euro cleaning charge - especially when the bike i received was far from clean !!

Any link or info to this shop in Palma would be great

Here's their website (had find it on Google StreetView to remember the name!)

http://www.ciclosblando.com

They're quite central in Palma, just off the smaller ring road, in the east. They have good Ultegra Canyons. And no cleaning fee!

Palma is easier to get to from the airport than Santa Ponsa, only 3 Euros on the bus. And much more lively / easy on the eye.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Top man - will drop them an email

As you say Palma would be a much better base in February
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• Mallorca that time of year can vary quite a lot. As above 15C is not uncommon but it can also be below freezing in the mountains.

If you need arm warmers is very personal, I was there last week and it was 25-30C, in the mornings I was sweating buckets, really struggling with the heat in my shorts and short sleeves when I see others out in long sleeved tops and jackets!
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I was in Mallorca in February. Out on the bike every morning and sunbathing every afternoon. 10 days of sun. Our hotel had the Sunbeds out. Stayed in Arenal. Close enough to Palma. €2 local bus to airport. There are a few bike shops in Arenal. Paid €100 for a Merida for 8 days. Cleaning charge, but I put the bike in the shower before I took it back. No charge.
    13958886969_19f24ab3ed.jpg
    14142652522_81529331b9.jpg
  • bigjim wrote:
    Cleaning charge, but I put the bike in the shower before I took it back. No charge.

I bet the hotel manager was delighted!
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    bigjim wrote:
    Cleaning charge, but I put the bike in the shower before I took it back. No charge.

I bet the hotel manager was delighted!
    Didn't ask him.