Bib Shorts

surrey_commuter
surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Still new to this cycling game so looking for tips on shorts... I appreciate there are a lot of variables but roughly how many miles should they be good for? also do people have a Sunday best?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Still new to this cycling game so looking for tips on shorts... I appreciate there are a lot of variables but roughly how many miles should they be good for? also do people have a Sunday best?
    They're good until they go see through and someone complains they can see your crack through them...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Approximately 1 mile to about 35000 miles or more subject to variables. Really, I don't think you can put a roughly to this.

And yes, people often do have Sunday bests.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    To go with your sunday best bibs:

ritzred_frtback.jpg
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    I got some Gore contest bibs. They're pretty cheap as there are some good deals around, and have a great pad. The elastic grippers aren't brilliant though, and they do have a tendency to ride up. For commuting bibs they're excellent though.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • I think I battered all my shorts commuting - now feel I will use them for commuting until I hear a yell of "I can see your crack" and keep the new Castelli's exclusively for long weekend rides
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I recently binned some of my earliest (7 year old) non bib shorts, as the pads had become woefully thin.

I have since amassed a fair collection of bib shorts, at differeing price points - I have cheapy ones for short training/turbo or interval rides, then some mavics and crafts for longer rides in the region of 40-60 miles, and then my 'best' Etxeondo Orhi's which I keep for rides of 60 miles plus.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I nearly put my bib shorts on this morning for the commute in, but then remembered that they have to dry out on the office windowsill. Not sure my colleagues can handle that sight yet