Superstar amx ultra

lillip
lillip Posts: 38
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi I have a friend who is looking at getting a new set of wheels. He has been told that superstar amx ultra are a good set. Has anyone ever tried these wheels and know if there any good.or has anyone els know of a good set of wheels up to £200
Cheers
Phil

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For what bike/use and what is his weight?
  • I wouldn't have Superstar hubs again. Weak freehubs and rubbish bearing sealing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No problem with mine (I ride more XC admittedly, but am using the lightweight 'superleggera'/Tesla hubs) just a set of 4 rear bearings after 4 years.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mine were the Switch Evos. It's xc that breaks them. The freehub body cracks where the pawls sit in. The cure is to fit a steel freehub body which weighs a ton.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mines not cracked, and the guy I bought them off was a big fella who rode pretty hard....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mine were the Switch Evos. It's xc that breaks them. The freehub body cracks where the pawls sit in. The cure is to fit a steel freehub body which weighs a ton.
    Thats an old problem wich is no longer an issue.

Surprised if any wheeset can stand up to your supregnarcore riding though :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It happened to a warranty freehub I had from them about two months ago. To be fair, they keep replacing them. Happy to have got rid of them.
    It's bad riding that kills wheels, not hardcore riding. I have broken plenty, mostly sideways landings or pinching in rock gardens.