Crud roadracer MK2 issues

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Hi everyone,

I've just fitted some 25mm Michelin Pro 4 SCs to my Trek 2.1. Last winter I was using 23mm tyres, and the mudguards were fine.

With the 25mm, it's a VERY tight fit, and the nose on the front guard has to be left off as it rubs too much. Even doing this, it is still rubbing in areas.

Are there any other mudguards to consider, or do I have to go get some 23mm tyres again? :|

Cheers,
Luke

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    SKS Raceblade Long
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'll have to ask for this to be put in the Workshop FAQs to save me from repeating it all the time!

I went from a tight fit with Cruds and 23mm tyres to a much less tight fit on 25mm tyres by a mod that takes about 15 seconds a mudguard to apply.

Take the main section of mudguard. Where it narrows where the nose piece on the front, or forward section on the rear clips over, apply a little heat (I used a lighter) and gently bend it up a little. Don't use a lot of heat, don't bend it much. It should only look bent by comparison to the one you haven't modified yet.

If you do this, you find that the stays are now pulling the mudguard down at the back rather than pushing it up. I went from minimal clearance on 23 to plenty of clearance on 25.

I'm still probably going back to 23s though - more clearance and 25s feel no different to 23s to me. Probably too light to benefit from the wider tyre.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for the replies both.

I may give that 'mod' a try, but you're probably right...23s are probably the easiest option...

Luke
  • I had my new tyre fitted to my bike for 2 days. Not used whatsoever.

Can I return this one? Or when you fit it, that's it?

Cheers,
    Luke
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Does it look like new in its original packaging? If so, then it's new!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Haha, that's where they're catching me out. I can't work out how to fold it into the tiny cardboard box they put it in :|

Thanks though, I'll do my best.

Luke
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    FWIW I have some Rubino Pro Tech 25mm tyres and they fitted under the Crud races just fine. I recently changed to Pro4 SC and no dice. That is on a Felt Z4 with RS20 wheels.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks