Schwalbe One tubeless

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited September 2014 in Workshop
After seeing the recommendations on this forum I decided I would give the Schwalbe One tubeless (not tubular) tyres a go. I'm now wondering if I have got it all wrong. :oops:

The instructions say it should be fitted to a appropriate tubular rim. I thought these tyres would were designed to work with clinchers. Have I got this wrong?

The tyres don't come with valves. Any recommendations from those that have fitted them?

Did you use the fitting liquid to put them on (not the sealant)?

Thanks

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if they are tubeless tyres then yes they go on clincher rims, or better still tubeless-ready rims.

All spokes holes need to be sealed with a good tape. I use 3M crossweave. Stans tape is okay but expensive.

Stans valves are good. Seal well and a good shape.

I seal the bead with 50/50 washing up liquid and water suds.

Plus I run some sealant for puncture protection.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Just had my first days commuting with mine.

Ultegra 6800 rims with some sealant.

Awesome, roll nicely and feel really smooth.

Hard work to get on the rim but once seated then all seems really good.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Just fitted some 23mm Schwalbe One tubeless tyres to my new Archetypes. Two runs of Stans 21mm Yellow Tape and Stans valves was all that was required. I've stuck in 40ml of Stans sealant too. Using a mix of shower gel and water and a sponge to seal the bead, the front went up fine, but leaked around the valve seat for a bit before I torqued down the knurled nut a turn. The rear took a bit more persuading to blow up, leaking faster than I could blow it up enough to fully seat the bead at first. I left it for about twenty seconds, then went at it hard with my track pump and it blew up fine. Leaving the tyre to stand for a bit seemed to allow the sealant to do it's job.

On the Archetypes, the front 23mm tyre measured up at 23.7mm and the rear measured up at 24mm dead.