Campag record Brake levers to use with Shimano Gears

stacey007
stacey007 Posts: 39
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Hello

I have a pair of Campag record 10 speed levers that I would like to use with my currently Shimano 105 gears (until I work may way round to upgrading the other bits).

Q) will these levers work with my shiamno gears (both 10 speed)

Thanks

Comments

• Fairly certain they won´t.
  • Would I need a Campag front Mech and rear mech for it to work?

Or more than this?

Thanks
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Campagnolo 10 speed shifters + rear derailleur work fairly well with a Shimano 10- speed cassette, although in the rear not perfect. Front no problem whatsoever.
    Wih a Shimano rear derailleur you can make it it work with a Shiftmate or modification .
  • What's a shiftmake....

I'm googling it :)
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I think you may also have difficulty getting a Shimano front mech to work well with Campag levers. I tried some years ago to get a Shimano 105 triple front mech to work with Campag 9 speed ultrashift levers (old Veloce) on my touring bike. It worked but only just. I seem to remember I needed two swings of the lever to change up to a bigger ring. The cable pull was wrong.

As all ultrashift levers, including 10 speed Record, work on a ratchet system rather than Simano-style index, I suspect you will have the same issue.
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    I use 10 speed campag leavers with 9 speed Shimano cassette and rear mech via a shiftmate. works a treat, smooth and quiet , but get the right shiftmate

Barrie
  • keezx
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I think you may also have difficulty getting a Shimano front mech to work well with Campag levers. I tried some years ago to get a Shimano 105 triple front mech to work with Campag 9 speed ultrashift levers (old Veloce) on my touring bike. It worked but only just. I seem to remember I needed two swings of the lever to change up to a bigger ring. The cable pull was wrong.

As all ultrashift levers, including 10 speed Record, work on a ratchet system rather than Simano-style index, I suspect you will have the same issue.

Campa front shifters shift anything with a cable , 2 swings is even better then Campa which needs 3 swings....
  • mercia_man
    Keezx wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:

Campa front shifters shift anything with a cable , 2 swings is even better then Campa which needs 3 swings....

Don't understand what you are saying. Yes, ultrashift levers (what all Campag used to be in the old days) will shift anything with a cable because they are not indexed like Shimano. But what I want is for one swing of the lever to move the chain from one ring to another, such as from little ring to middle ring on my triple and then another swing from middle to big ring. This is what my Veloce levers do with a Centaur front mech.

Because Campag lever pull ratio is different, one swing of the lever was not enough to get the chain from one ring to another satisfactorily using a 105 front mech. It didn't push the cage far enough across.
  • keezx
    edited October 2014
    You must have Quickshift levers + Quickshift front mech to do that, older standard ergopowers never shift front in 1 movement.
    As far as I understood even the newest Ergopower are stll not fully indexed and I thank the Lord for that because whatever stuff I have on my bike, it will shift and stop rubbing.
    One of the reasons I still have Campa 9 speed and will be using as long as I can get spares.
    As the TS has 10 speed Ergo's, he won't bother about Quickshift or Shimano-rubshift.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited October 2014
    Use 10 speed Campag levers with 9 speed Shimano cassette and Campag 9 (or 10) rear mech.
    Works a treat, smooth and quiet. Do not use a shiftmate
    (I have this combo on all of my bikes)

(edit: My levers are all Ultrashift. I have one boxed NOS spare and will probably buy another, from the
    few still available on various websites).
  • keezx
    Could be true, the difference in "pitch" is 0,2 mm , just as it is with Campa10 -Shimano 10...........
    I prefer Campa 9-Shimano 9 or 10-10 because it "overshifts" 0,2 mm.
  • mercia_man
    Keezx wrote:
    You must have Quickshift levers + Quickshift front mech to do that, older standard ergopowers never shift front in 1 movement.
    As far as I understood even the newest Ergopower are stll not fully indexed and I thank the Lord for that because whatever stuff I have on my bike, it will shift and stop rubbing.
    One of the reasons I still have Campa 9 speed and will be using as long as I can get spares.
    As the TS has 10 speed Ergo's, he won't bother about Quickshift or Shimano-rubshift.

No I don't have Quickshift levers and mech. I have old Veloce from around 2001, the same ratcheted ultrashift movement as Record, made well before they downgraded lower end groupsets with Quickshift, Powershift and Escape. I can assure you one full swing of the lever shifts chain from little ring to middle and one full swing from middle to big. It's all a question of adjusting it properly. And the beauty of these older ultrashift levers is they will work both triples and doubles.
  • keezx
    Strange
    I have at least 5 sets of older Ergopowers and no one shifts in 1 click from 1 chainwheel to the next.
    Full swing might be....but that's not indexed shifting...
  • mercia_man
    Ah, I think there must have been a misunderstanding here. I am talking about one full swing, not click. So when I change from little ring to middle in one swing, the ratchet does 3 or 4 clicks.
  • keezx
    For another brand of mechs you may need 2 or 5 clicks , no big deal IMO...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Record 10 speed Q/S is briliant using it currently one full swing and up the chain goes. 11 speed athena shifters just about and only just do the change with a very full swing. Must try and set up my veloce shifters/front mech the same or maybe it is the narrower 11 speed chain on the athena that is key to this.

2015 chorus/rec/SR have gone back to the Q/S idea apparantly. Yet to try it though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.