Where to start with saddles?

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, recently had my Giant Revel bike stolen and have replaced it with an Orbea. Had the Giant for 3 years and the saddle that came with it suited me fine - never once had a problem with rides up to 30miles. The new one however I don't seem to be getting on with - I'm still tinkering with the set up, so it could get better once I've got that right, but I've borrowed a saddle of someone else which is instantly better, although still not right. So how can I go about finding a saddle like the one I used to have, given that someone nicked the thing!! I am thinking that the new saddle it too wide at the back and not long enough for me, but that's just a hunch....

I've heard plenty recommending the Charge Spoon saddle - should I just buy one and try it?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes. Can be found for under £20 and if you don't like it you'll get most of it back on Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have a Giant Road bike and from memory I think the two saddles were quite similar, although slightly different. Would I be as well looking for a saddle like the one on my road bike, or given the different riding position and the different terrain I'm riding on, is it not as simple as that? Think I might try the Charge spoon one - the dimensions are similar to my road bike saddle and it looks pretty similar.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Read up on measuring your sit bones to get a saddle the right width and look at the different types. My MTB saddle is fine but my road bike one was too narrow and very painful until swapped for a wider saddle with a cutaway.