New bike or upgrade

DSA244
DSA244 Posts: 66
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Opinions please.

I have a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2007.

I was thinking about buying a new bike, but to get something of the same standard or better is £2500+. I'm not convinced that the components on these prices of cycles are as good as they used to be. It appears metal is very expensive now so to save cash they have decreased the quality of components. It's making me think spending a grand on upgrading old worn parts is possibly a better bet? I can't imagine frames have moved on massively in this time?

Ta

Comments

• Also if I went for a new bike I'd get a 29er, but again is it worth that outlay for the bigger wheels
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd give it an overhaul, full strip and rebuild, new bearings for the frame (with a few a small degradation in each can have a large effect) a fork and shock service and then decide what else will give the best bang for the buck improving.

Modern parts do tend to be lighter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fork change will be tricky - straight steerer decent forks are a rare commodity.

The modern stumpy is longer travel, with a slacker, more trail oriented geometry - an new bike will give you those changes that you simply cant get modernising an older bike. That said, the 07 Stumpy is a nice xc ride and if it suits what you like to ride then a bit of a spit and polish is going to keep it going and improve the ride for you.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.