Commuting and Fun?

Mcsheepy
Mcsheepy Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Commuting general
Hi All,

I have been looking around for something I could mess around on weekends with my son and for the occasional commute to work.

I did look at solid frame Mini Velo style bikes, but was unable to find much in the UK and the bikes I did find were very expensive for someone whi has never tried one.
I was then looking at large BMX bikes and came across this website: www.bigbmx.com but was unable to find any customer reviews and they only sell through eBay which flags up a bit of an alert as they dont accept returns. Has anyone heard of this company or think they might eb worth while?

Anyway, I digress. The reason I am posting, is to see if anyone could reccomend something I would be able to go a little off road, maybe show off to my kid with some bunny hops :) and occasionally cycle to work (6 mile round trip). The cheaper the better really..I don't want a MTB, I have one and don't enjoy riding it too much unfortunately.

I am 6ft tall so the idea of a standard BMX worries me a bit over long distance..is this not something I should be concerned with?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What don't you enjoy about the MTB? For most people that would tick all the boxes you've set out. Maybe you have the wrong MTB? Maybe the answer is too fix what is wrong with it (assuming that is possible).

All that big BMX is is single speed MTB with funny bars and rather cheap components, and I wouldn't really enjoy doing even 3 miles on it.

Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Dirt jump bike?

0woodstok.jpg

Shite to commute on. If you go cheap it'll weigh as much as several elephants. Or you could sort out your MTB.
  • Firstly, thanks for your replys.
    The bike I currently have is a Giant Yukon 2010 (It's been in my Garage for some time) I think the frame might actually be a little small for me. (It feels that way at least).
    My budget is obviously as cheap as possible, but an aluminium frame would be best I am guessing. Are Hybrid bikes any good, or are they likely to fold if I do anything more than road and a slightly dirty trail?
    The dirt jump bike looks pretty cool..but again as you said, not good for commuting. If not a Hybrid..do you think one for work and one for fun would be best?
    Thanks again for your advice on this matter..and I will stay away from the big bmx :)