Sadly another cyclist killed ...

farrina
farrina Posts: 360
edited January 2017 in Road general
I noted on the BBC site last week that a cyclist had been reported killed near Belmont Lancashire in a collision with a motorbike.

At the time it was stated that he was from the St Helens area (some way away) and I feared it would be a club cyclist (not that all cyclists lives are not important, but you tend to believe that club cyclists are more skilled and therefore less likely to be hurt).

Today it has been confirmed that the cyclist was Dave Hitchen, a former international cyclist. He was 42 - see here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-29414158

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
Regards
Alan

Comments

• At the time it was stated that he was from the St Helens area (some way away) and I feared it would be a club cyclist (not that all cyclists lives are not important, but you tend to believe that club cyclists are more skilled and therefore less likely to be hurt).

What a strange and irrelevant thing to say.

I cycled up Belmont midweek and passed the spot where he was sadly hit. I stopped to read the messages on the cards and flowers - sounded like a great guy. Such a shame.
  • http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/114 ... motorbike/ for the local news report.

As I understand, he was marshalling for the Bolton Bash sportive.

Sheephouse Lane is popular as a local climb, but the Rivington area is popular with motorbikes on a Sunday.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • To be honest, it's getting akin to trying to organise an event/ ride your bike during IOM TT week over Belmont these days.

There's not many cyclists didn't know Dave from over these parts- cracking lad, strong as an ox. Been a sad week for a lot of folk- none more so than his wife and young daughter of course :(
  • Indeed. I think much as I like Sheephouse, I'll only be doing it early mornings now.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    You knew you were in for a tough hour if Dave turned up at the weekly chaingang round Pimbo!

Such sad news and a big loss to the cycling community.

RIP Dave
  • Condolences to his family and friends, very sad indeed.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • Hate to say but not surprising :( I've rode Rivington road a lot and some of the motorcyclists up there are morons.
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    update on this......

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/1501 ... e_Hitchen/

18 months is a disgrace of sentence......6 months for the incident and a further 12 months for taking the police on an 8 mile 90+mph chase through 30 zones while on bail :evil: :evil: :evil:

to think he will be back in a car/on a sports bike in 4 years!

even managed to find him on instagram the weeks following the incident he spent showing off pictures of his new bike. what a piece of scum.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    benjamess wrote:
    update on this......

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/1501 ... e_Hitchen/

18 months is a disgrace of sentence......6 months for the incident and a further 12 months for taking the police on an 8 mile 90+mph chase through 30 zones while on bail :evil: :evil: :evil:

to think he will be back in a car/on a sports bike in 4 years!

even managed to find him on instagram the weeks following the incident he spent showing off pictures of his new bike. what a piece of scum.

Can't agree more.

No justice. I understand if it is pure accident but this should be classified as manslaughter.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    i regularly ride these roads.

Going over Winter hill between Rivington and Belmont is getting pretty risky with the huge number of motorbikes that scream up and down there, always using the whole road at great speed when there's no cars.

I've had a near head on collision when a motorbike approaching me came over the central lines and right into my line - he must have been doing 60 or 70mph and missed me by no more than 2 feet after correcting.

Really dangerous place and a motorcyclists hot spot.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    PS I agree 18 months for that idiot seems woeful. A life lost, a family destroyed and he'll be free as a bird in 18 months (half with good behaviour). RIP.