newbie advice please..what bike??

mcgann_77
mcgann_77 Posts: 39
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
hi all im new to this site and am looking for some advice.i am wanting to get into mountain biking and have been searching around for way too long about what bike to go for.i have a £400 maximum budget and had thought a Carrera Vulcan was the one to go for,but then I read about maybe a specialized hard rock or few other makes.some people seem to think going for a full suspension bike would be better? my intentions are to use the bike for trails and woodlands etc with a view to trying some downhilling at a later date.any advice / opinions would be much appreciated.thanks

Comments

• FOAM
    FOAM Posts: 13
    I am still pretty new to this myself but with that budget I think the Voodoo Hoodoo (£400 sale @ Halfords) or the Calibre Two Two (£370 @ Go Outdoors) are very good specced. You could also go for something from Deacthlon such as the B'TWIN Rockrider 520. (£370)

If you wanted to spend a little less money the Voodoo Bantu is about £320 atm (Halfords)

Specialized bikes (or other large brands) generally spec very badly at low price points.

At this price point ignoring full suspension is the best option.
  • With your budget you do not want to be going for a full suspension MTB.

FOAM has pretty much pointed out the best contenders. If you can try them out before you buy and see which one you find the best.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • right ok thanks for the advice guys.i will take a look around the few shops in my area to see if they are stocked there,we have a Halfords here but not many others nearby and as far as im aware the ones we do have are small shops.at least I can now rule out full suspension bikes now so that's good :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Steer clear of the big name brands like Specialized, Trek and so on, at this price point their offerings are frankly awful and are really bad value.

Halfords, Go Outdoors and Decathlon are the only three stores you need to find!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ok I have looked about more and after looking at your suggestions i have narrowed down to 6 to choose from
    what do you guys think would be the best buy from these voodoo hoodoo,
    calibre two two,
    carrera Vulcan,
    carrera kraken,
    b twin rockrider 520
    or a cannondale trail 6.
    there are so many to choose from its ridiculous so just thought id ask you guys in the know
    thanks
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    And now, with links!
    mcgann_77 wrote:
    ok I have looked about more and after looking at your suggestions i have narrowed down to 6 to choose from
    what do you guys think would be the best buy from these voodoo hoodoo,
    calibre two two,
    carrera Vulcan,
    carrera kraken,
    b twin rockrider 520
    or a cannondale trail 6.
    there are so many to choose from its ridiculous so just thought id ask you guys in the know
    thanks
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The fork on the cannondale is a shocker, absolutely dreadful, AVOID.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Rookie wrote:
    Halfords, Go Outdoors and Decathlon are the only three stores you need to find!

I was in a Decathlon yesterday and I was quite impressed with their bike. On casual inspection they seemed to be very good quality for the money.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • thanks batmo for adding links.thanks rookie il forget the cannondale then.i don't have a decathlon anywhere near me so thanks for the heads up on that angus