Ford Focus C-Max

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Just bought a C-Max mini MPV which I will be picking up in a couple of days and I wondering if anyone has one and whether its possible to fit a bike in the back without removing the front wheel. It looks pretty big with the seats folded but they dont seem to go very flat and take up a lot of room. Can the seats or part of the seat be taken out to make the back floor flat.

Also I have a tow bar rack and was wondering if anyone has had a tow bar fitted and what did it cost.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    stubs wrote:
    Just bought a C-Max mini MPV which I will be picking up in a couple of days and I wondering if anyone has one and whether its possible to fit a bike in the back without removing the front wheel. It looks pretty big with the seats folded but they dont seem to go very flat and take up a lot of room. Can the seats or part of the seat be taken out to make the back floor flat.

Also I have a tow bar rack and was wondering if anyone has had a tow bar fitted and what did it cost.

I used to have one - lovely car, and in two-seater mode you can, with a bit of a fight, get a bike in the back will its wheels on. But it's probably easier without - how hard is it to get your front wheel off?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Don't go to Ford for tow bar fitting, I was quited £1200 for one to fit my Mondeo at a Ford main dealer or £450 from my friendly local mechanic for a good quality kit with electrics properly fitted (not DIY style connectors)
  • stubs
    Giraffoto wrote:
    stubs wrote:

I used to have one - lovely car, and in two-seater mode you can, with a bit of a fight, get a bike in the back will its wheels on. But it's probably easier without - how hard is it to get your front wheel off?

Was just checking to see if its possible without shifting the seats. Read a few posts on Ford forums that say you have to remove the seats to get a flat load bed. One of my bikes has bolted axles for security just means i have to have the correct spanner with me all the time. Be handy if i could just throw it in the back.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • We have one and my sons 24" wheeled bike goes in with both wheels on, we bought a Thule roof setup and if I remember right the adult bikes would go in with front wheel removed.
  • Fit the tow bar yourself - I did on my focus estate. Got lucky and got a witter detachable towbar off ebay for £90 and a wiring loom for similar money.

You have to take the bumper off the car but it is very simple - only a few bolts. The wiring loom is plug and play. I only had to connect one wire that didn't have a pre fitted connector, IIRC it was for the parking sensor inhibit so if you don't have parking sensors all the connectors are there waiting in the car loom already.

If all that sounds too daunting then call a few mobile fitters - they should be able to do it for less than £400 supply and fit.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    My large hardtail goes in mine with wheels on, reverb at lowest position. I can get 3 bikes in with wheels off and still have one back seat up, leaving room for 3 people. Awesome space for a little car.
  • stubs
    Just put my mates hardtail in. Couldnt get it in with front wheel on because it has 160mm forks and 800mm bars but I got my 29er 100mm fork HT in fine, I reckon if I got a strap on his forks and compressed them or let the air out it would fit okay. Took centre seat out and strapped bikes in with the seatbelts.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    So you bought one? Good choice. I drove the last 80,000 of 112,000 miles that my one did before I sold it. I bet it's still running around with someone who's perfectly happy with it, too.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er