Giant Talon 27.5 0 (2015) bike to work......value????

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Hi all,

As the title says it all, got this being delivered tomorrow.

2015_Giant_Talon_275_0_zps051d8032.jpg

Got it on bike to work, so was limited to Edinburgh and £1000, what do people think of the specs? To me it seems to have the best spec up to £1000, when compared to Spesh etc.

Spec:

Sizes S, M, L, XL
Colours Black
Frame ALUXX-Grade Aluminum
Fork Fox Float EVO CTD, 100mm travel
Shock N/A
Components
Handlebar Giant Connect XC, Low Rise, 690mm
Stem Giant Connect, ±8-degree rise
Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9mm
Saddle Giant Connect Upright
Pedals MTB Caged
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano Deore 20 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur Shimano XT, Shadow
Brakes Shimano M446 160mm
Brake Levers Shimano M446
Cassette Shimano HG50 11-36
Chain KMC X10
Crankset Shimano Deore, 24/38
Bottom Bracket Shimano, threaded external
Wheels
Rims Giant S-XC2 27.5 wheelset
Hubs Giant Tracker Sport
Spokes Stainless Steel
Tyres Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 27.5x2.25"

Interested in peoples opinions on the forks, just doing a Google search and they are 50% of the bikes value (retail), to me the spec should demand more £££££££

Comments

• nice bike. geometry feels really good (when I had a brief ride on one a couple of months ago)

was looking at last years talon 1, ended up not being able to source one in my size by the time I decided to take the plunge so opted for a Trek Superfly 6. Colour range of the 2015 Giant's isn't to my tastes
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit late to worry about the value if you've already bought it, and I doubt Giant are paying RRP for any of the bits.
    Just ride it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Not worrying, originally went for one of the new rockhoppers as I'm a spesh fan but seen this one a day later and immediately switched to this.

Was wanting to get more info on the shocks, good bad or average. But spec wise looks good on paper compared to other brands. Just seems complete value for the money.

Good to here the geometry is good, as haven't even sat on it yet.

Next for the bling, stealth or pick a colour from the theme or gold?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Got the same fork and in 140mm flavour on my trance it doesn't seem too bad, but preferred the revelation on my previous trance so it's getting replaced in the next couple of weeks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's a fairly rubbish fork but the short travel helps make it less noticeable. The Fox CTD Evo forks I have ridden have felt like a real budget Rockshox fork.
    I would sell the fork and fit a Rockshox Reba.
  • Interesting, I have the REBA fitted on my spesh. Going to ride the spesh tonight and see how it feels
  • Float vs Reba,

DSC_0060_zps607d3afa.jpg

Will post back tomorrow and let you know. Haven't ridden the spesh since the giant came.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why have the Rockhopper and Talon? They are very similar bikes. More bikes is good but I don't really understand having two mid range xc hardtails with similar geometry and with the same suspension travel.
    You need a xc bike and a downhill bike.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Why have the Rockhopper and Talon? They are very similar bikes. More bikes is good but I don't really understand having two mid range xc hardtails with similar geometry and with the same suspension travel.

I agree with the why have 2 bikes that are similar?

however why does he NEED a DH bike? do you know if he rides downhill? I don't own a DH bike anymore. so does that mean that my choice of bikes is wrong?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    welshkev wrote:

I agree with the why have 2 bikes that are similar?

however why does he NEED a DH bike? do you know if he rides downhill? I don't own a DH bike anymore. so does that mean that my choice of bikes is wrong?

Obviously everyone needs to shred the massive gnar, like Rockmonkey"Superduperman"SC.
    Or you might be a lycra clad bisexual.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Everyone needs a DH bike. They are just too much fun not to have one.
    Should probably have a jump bike as well.
  • Have to agree the rebas are better. Not saying the floats are bad. But the rebas win for me.

Was hoping the spesh would be more than mid range seems as everything has been upgraded.

Two similar bikes, good question, the bike is my preferred transport to work, just as quick if I drive or quicker than public transport. But I was getting sick of extra maintenance keeping it out in rain, missing rides at weekends as I have to fix something etc.

Also want to get the other half in to bikes, so two birds one stone, bike for work that doubles up for her too.

Don't worry I'm still holding out for my elusive stumpy fsr frame, they either go for stupid money or are in poor condition. But yeah xc bike and a hard hitting full susser is what I want.