Tight tyres and tube pinches.

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited October 2014 in Workshop
How do you get round the issue of tube pinches when fitting a new tyre?

Just putting a new set of Michelin Grip's on for winter and they are the tightest tyre ive come across (previously had Bont Race, Aksion and Pro4's), so bad ive had 2 pinches, not reet chuffed about that TBH.

Any little tricks people use to stop such issues?

Comments

• Go tubeless and forget about the all matter...?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Run tubulars.

I know what you mean though, some tyre & wheel combinations seem to be almost impossible to mount yet others are the easiest thing ever.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    A little/little more air in the tube and making sure the tyre is properly centered before the final push. Also if using levers check the tube is out of the way before pushing.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Learn to do without levers at all for putting a tyre on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
  • chase the slack aroun the rim to the tight spot and mount. There is a trick to all of this. You need to see it and someone to correct your hand movement/placement. That youtube clip is sort of helpful but it will take practice.

Look at it this way buy a number of cheap tubes and practice, you are a human one of the the most creative and adapatble creature on the planet, surely you can figure this out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • -Plenty of talc on the tube.
    -Half mount tyre on rim
    -Insert tube, partly inflated, enough that it will form inside the tyre
    -Mount tyre at the valve, and go 1/4 way around the rim
    -Go back to valve, and mount tyre going other way until it starts getting real difficult
    -Make sure the unmounted tyre is not opposite the valve
    -Release a bit of air from the tube (a bit of experimentation here to let enough out, while trying to keep the tube partly inflated so it still forms inside the tyre), make sure valve is not trapped in tyre bead (push it in slightly)
    -Squeeze the tyre on the sides, so you get as much of the bead away from the sides of the rim as possible at the opposite side to the unmounted tyre
    -Now is the tough part, and where you may need tyre levers
    -Ease tyre on bit at a time, but do not push tyre levers in too far...you should be able to see if the tube is either under the lever or the tyre bead
    -Always try to get the last bit of tyre on by using hands...the last bit of tyre is probably the easiest part of this last stage.
  • You should not need tyre levers if you chase the slack around the rim that invloves squeezing the beads together with both hand and pulling the tyre up and pulling your hands apart while gripping the tyre. Repeat that all the way round the tyre staring opposite the tight stop and finishing at the tight spot. Doing this gathers up a bit of slack. Then at one end of the tight spot roll the tyre back with your fingers stretching it over the rim as much as you can while simultaniously pushing the bead with both thumbs (end of the thumbs should be touching). This pushes the tyre over the lip of the rim if done right. If it is still tight chase the tyre again. No talc needed no tyre levers. Tyre lever only really need to come out in exceptional circumtances like the schwable marathon plus or gator skin hardshell on some rims, i.e in flexible wire bead tyres. Most race orientated tyres particularly folding tyres are alot easier to mount and there are only a couple of combinations that I found require levers. It seems every combo on this site requires levers that is not the case.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • thecycleclinic

I always put one bead on fully, then work around with the other bead. Is that what you are suggesting, or do you insert the valve and then push both beads on at once?

I do agree, you should not normally need tyre levers, but in my old age I do struggle sometimes with conti's and campag wheels :)

Just curious, always looking for better/easier ways.

Cheers