What bike?

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited September 2014 in Cyclocross
Planning to get a new cyclocross bike. Budget is £3000, and I want one with a scandium frame, because a mate of mine once had a scandium frame and thought it was great. I really like the look of hydraulic brakes, so it has to have those, and because it's my dream bike and I'm spending a lot of money on it, it has to be light blue. Not too bothered about the wheels, I'm sure they'll be fine, but Vittoria tyres are a must. Will be using for a combination of commuting (on dry days) and time trialling. Any suggestions?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• Go custom b/c no one makes what you're looking for.

The Van Dessel Aloominator (sp?) is the closest thing to what you're talking about but it's not scandi.

Only other thing I can think of is the Crockett, if it's good enuf for Compton (for some reason she likes alu & carbo whereas Sven is carbo only)

If you like lite blue (as in Belgian national team blue?) then I applaud you, and suggest you look at a Ritte - a past model was similar to what you describe.

Ok, I'm thinking of more stuff now (funny brain I have) the Brecon bikes have sweet paint jobs.

Why not carbon? So much more out there nowu should've come up to HH today - LOTS of carbon disc bikes on show including one tasty black Boone with red lettering. Suh-weet.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Of all the people to fall for this FJ :lol:

@OP - Hang loose, I hear Parlee are bringing a scandium frame out in 2020!

How was HH?
  • tgotb
    Sorry! :oops:

HH was hot, dry as a bone, and toward the more technical end of the CX spectrum; At times the run-up was barely visible through the dust cloud. Great turnout, but there seemed to be enough space for everyone on the course.

TBOTB junior won her race after a protracted 3-way battle, I was somewhat less impressive :roll:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    Go TGOTB junior!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    The highlight of HH today was FransJacques' rear tub exploding about 5 minutes before the start. I swear 10 people shat their pants.

It was all downhill after that.
  • Man it was stressful trying to get a new wheel with a couple mins to go. Due to the change I only had exactly 20psi in it so was cornering like an 18 wheeler b/c everything was all floppy and elastic feeling. I almost stopped in the pits to pump it up. Maybe should have

And true to andyp's summary of my HH career, I dug pedals twice more and had 2 quick spills.

It was so hot I feel like I have heatstroke - been drinking water all afternoon. But it was great fun and the best HH course yet, the corners were really rewarding to learn to ride well, and I loved hopping the wooden steps in the back-field. Never made it up the 'mound' tho. Webber told me he rode it. He won but they messed up the results.

TGOTB - what bike are you on? I'm on a Van Dessel FTB

How was your front tyre Andy?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • tgotb
    I did wonder what that almighty bang was! 20psi must have been "interesting"...

I tried hopping the steps before the race, but for me running was quicker; every time I hit the steps right behind a "hopper" I made it round the left-hander at the top ahead of them.

I'm on a Planet X (with clinchers today, didn't want to risk my tubs on the HH rubble), Kingston Wheelers kit.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Scandium is a "scam"... meaning it's an aluminium alloy with a < 1% of scandium in it. Although it enhances marginally the mechanical properties, we are talking 10% or so, not massively different... I refuse to believe there is a difference between two frames with exactly the same geometry one with and the other without scandium.

Let's put it this way... I wouldn't pay twice the price for 0.5% of Scandium in the alloy
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    Scandium is a "scam"... meaning it's an aluminium alloy with a < 1% of scandium in it. Although it enhances marginally the mechanical properties, we are talking 10% or so, not massively different... I refuse to believe there is a difference between two frames with exactly the same geometry one with and the other without scandium.

Let's put it this way... I wouldn't pay twice the price for 0.5% of Scandium in the alloy
    Sorry - the original post wasn't entirely serious. I'm a big fan of carbon frames for CX (though plenty of people seem to go very well indeed on aluminium ones, and at the level most of us race it probably makes little real difference).

That said, it doesn't take a very large amount of impurity to make a significant difference to the properties of an alloy. I'm no expert on aluminium alloys, but I do recall that impurities at a proportion of 0.1% can have a significant impact on the properties of steel, certainly enough to make the difference between a great frame and a terrible one. Often the improved mechanical properties might not make the frame intrinsically better on their own, but could allow other design changes to be made, that do make the frame better. Think tube sections, wall thicknesses, welds/brazing etc.

I've no idea why people rave about scandium frames, but just because it's a small amount of scandium involved, doesn't make it bogus...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Sorry - the original post wasn't entirely serious.

Put a fuckixg little face next time then...

TGOTB wrote:
    I'm no expert on aluminium alloys.

Whilst I am supposed to be one... :roll:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    My frame is Kinesium. Does that mean it has 1% added BS? But it counts for nothing as there is overspray on my decals.
    After the first post I though TGOTB had celebrated juniors victory a little too hard.
  • tgotb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    My frame is Kinesium. Does that mean it has 1% added BS? But it counts for nothing as there is overspray on my decals.
    I very nearly added overspray-free decals to the list of requirements.
    Put a fuckixg little face next time then...
    Sorry, I thought it would be obvious...
    Whilst I am supposed to be one... :roll:
    If you're suggesting it's a scam because it doesn't contain enough scandium, I assume you must have some knowledge about aluminium alloys?

I've seen advertisements for "carbon" frames which turned out to be made of "carbon steel". Now that's a scam!

FJ - the only time I've ever heard a tub make that much noise, it had been pumped up to 180psi first. What happened?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • What I mean is that they sell you a scandium alloy and most people think that's an entirely different proposition from Aluminium, when in fact it is a tiny slight variation of it... people seem to be able to discriminate between various steel tubings, but when it comes to aluminium alloys it's all much of a muchness, whilst there is overall more variabilty in the Al alloy range than there is in the steel range. Hence the name scandium tubing to make it sound different.

There are industries which for obvious reasons are obsessed about tiny variations in metal alloys, jet engine manufacturers being the most obvious example. The bicycle tubing industry shouldn't be one, but they have to justify somehow charging more, hence they come out with magic properties that only titanium alloys or scandium are supposed to offer... when in fact numbers at hand it's all unjustified.
  • andyp
    How was your front tyre Andy?

It was just about perfect. I was running 25 psi or so on it, tubeless so I thought it'd be grippy enough.

I did manage to have a front wheel wipe out on the 180 degree corner before the back section by the railway, but that was because I was pushing it too hard as I was trying to drive home my advantage on Adrian Lyons. He passed me as I was remounting, but then I noticed the chain was off so had to dismount and get it back on again, I never got close to him again.

It was good fun, if a bit too hot.
  • andyp
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'm on a Planet X (with clinchers today, didn't want to risk my tubs on the HH rubble), Kingston Wheelers kit.

Did I lend you my (somewhat flaky) digital pressure gauge before the race?
  • tgotb
    andyp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Did I lend you my (somewhat flaky) digital pressure gauge before the race?
    Not me, I have my own flaky digital pressure gauge :-)
    (28psi both ends yesterday, which I think was too much)

@FransJacques, do you ride for London Phoenix?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Yes that's me - the fat dad. Was it you who sprinted around me at the end? I didn't register it was our last lap and was keeping it all for what I thought was the last lap :-( Tho down in the 20s it hardly matters.

I kinda miss the seniors and vets together. I was able to use faster Seniors to drag me away from the Vets who were of a similar level to me.

What was your Scandium joke BTW? It didn't register...
  • tgotb
    Yes that's me - the fat dad. Was it you who sprinted around me at the end? I didn't register it was our last lap and was keeping it all for what I thought was the last lap :-( Tho down in the 20s it hardly matters.

I kinda miss the seniors and vets together. I was able to use faster Seniors to drag me away from the Vets who were of a similar level to me.

What was your Scandium joke BTW? It didn't register...
    Sorry - there have been so many "what bike" threads on here recently where the OP turns out to have decided exactly what they want from the outset, and/or have no intention of using it for anything CX related, that I couldn't resist the temptation to respond.

Yeah, that was me (also a fat dad). I feel bad about pulling that move now! Heard the bell ringing so soon after crossing the line with 2 laps to go that I guessed we were in danger of being lapped. When the leader came past, I took the precaution of asking whether he was the leader, so I guess I had an unfair advantage :oops:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Did anyone else ask the guy on the Furio with the moustache handlebar if his name was Ugo?

Paolo, it was a good looking bike but up close the bars looked silly - had XX brake levers and I think thumb shifters. Not my set up of choice for the bumpy grind of HH.
  • Did anyone else ask the guy on the Furio with the moustache handlebar if his name was Ugo?

Paolo, it was a good looking bike but up close the bars looked silly - had XX brake levers and I think thumb shifters. Not my set up of choice for the bumpy grind of HH.

Wasn't me, sorry... :roll:
  • I thought you might have come along just to watch the mayhem as TGOTB, andyp, VamP, and I duke it out.

Of course my arms would have to be 5 minutes longer to do any duking with andy
  • Nope... with my wife on sunday we cycled down to Sunbury via the Route no. 4, which is very pleasant and civlised... of course we were already having bacon and eggs in East Molesey so it was bound to be a short one... :D
  • VamP
    Mine would have to have been a fair bit longer than that, I was duking in Lincolnshire :)