single sided SPD or Caged

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have got both the standard pedals that came with my bike and a set of double sided SPD's.

However i would like the option of using the bike without my SPD shoes so i can take the bike to work etc.

So am i better with singe sided SPD's or would the caged SPD be just as good?

I have no local shop to check these out so any advise please?

Comments

• Both are rubbish.
    Single sided are awkward because they are never up the right way. Caged are rubbish because because the SPD clip is above the platform and the platform gives no grip anyway.
  • I used to use caged and with normal shoes they were rubbish.

Dual use or one sided pedals are similarly crap - you can pretty much guarantee you are fumbling for the side you need.

Just get clip shoes that dont make you look a retard.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter uses some single sided Xpedo, they stop clip side up making getting in easy and she can flip them if she wants to use the flats, it's becuase she has the one bike and uses it for both MTBing at trail centres and also general running around when she doesn't want to wear her SPD shoes.

The non clip side has a rubbery insert, not as secure as pins but fine for general running around she says. She only wears Van's which probably helps as they are quite grippy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.