Shimano cassette lockring sizing

thatkidpercy
thatkidpercy Posts: 21
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi

Pretty sure the answer is yes, but want to confirm before ordering.

I need a lockring for a shimano 11 speed cassette (11-28) and when looking online, Shimano lockrings only seem to differ based on whether the smallest cog has 11 or 12 teeth, and not between different speeds. Can somebody confirm that if I order a lockring for an 11 tooth cassette, it'd fit my 11 speed cassette freehub (and, presumably a 10 speed cassette with an 11 tooth smallest cog too)?

Thanks!

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Might depend on the hub.
    The number of speeds doen't matter, but the freehub material/dimensions do.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    according to the shimano pdf's - there are 2 part no's for older 10 sp lock rings but only one part no for the current 11sp cassettes, regardless of whether it is for an 11t or 12t final cog.

freehubs are standardised, material is irrelevant, the shimano f/h is either for a 8/9/10 or an 8/9/10/11.

I think u need to order a specific 11sp lock ring OR compare a 11sp one with either 11t or 12t 10sp one and see if they are compatible.
  • Cheers for the tips. Looks like my assumption was wrong then! You've saved me a few quid wasted in ordering the wrong thing, thanks. Managed to find a site selling the correct lockring separately (not easy to find, mind) so all is well.