Can anyone help identify this Scott model?

mpd10
mpd10 Posts: 10
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Hello Bikeradar folks

I recently bought a Scott Scale 27,5" mountain bike at an auction. I am having some trouble identifying which model it is, so i hoped someone were able to help!

The frame looks like any Scale model, but there are some weird things about the bike, that i can not find on any models on Scott Sport's website:

1. The saddle says force on it, and looks different
2. The fork is Rock Shox instead of FOX
3. The rims are Shimano XT(think they are more expensive than the standard syncros)
4. The pedals are plastic
5. The grip on the handlebar

Thank you in advance!

Mathias

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't see much in the picture but anything can be replaced.
    Was it new?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mpd10
    Thank you for replying. At the auction, they said it was 3 months old. I know you cannot see much, but if anything can help you determine the model i will write the info ofc. :-)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As a above. Anything can be replaced. It could even have been a spare frame that was built up yo sell.

Scott are normally good with labeling their frames.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mpd10
    Yea, okay. So there is no way of knowing which one it is? :(
    They might be good at labeling the frame, but they could write the model somewhere, maybe under or something. I've seen other posts with people wanting to know different models og Scott bikes :)
    Thabk you again for taking time to answer
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What did the seller say it was?

Find the serial number (probably stamped into the BB) and check website/email Scott.

Might (probably) find only difference between models was the spec so it doesn't really matter what it used to be. Maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    mpd10 wrote:
    They might be good at labeling the frame, but they could write the model somewhere, maybe under or something.

But the difference between one "model" and the next is normally just the build (ie. all the other components attached to the frame), so looking for a model number on a frame is essentially futile anyway - as soon as the parts are changed, the model number ceases to apply.

If you're keen to identify what the bike used to be before it was modified, then maybe check the other components against the stock builds for each of the Scale models listed here - if you find a majority match, then that's the most likely candidate.

However, like Nick said, it might not have ever been retailed as a complete bike - the frame could be bought separately, or provided as a warranty replacement and then built up with parts that bear no relation to the original spec of any of the stock builds.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except Scott will know what that frame number was originally built as from build records, or if it was sold as a service frame.

Plastic pedals sounds like someone took off their decent ones!

Have a look on the Scott website and bikepedia and see where you get the best match on components.

Which RS fork, there are one or two! The scale 735 for example gets the XC30 RS fork.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mpd10
    The Rookie wrote:
    Except Scott will know what that frame number was originally built as from build records, or if it was sold as a service frame.

Plastic pedals sounds like someone took off their decent ones!

Have a look on the Scott website and bikepedia and see where you get the best match on components.

Which RS fork, there are one or two! The scale 735 for example gets the XC30 RS fork.

Thank you again everyone. I've send an e-mail to Scott Sport in hope they can help identifying the model. Maybe by using the serial number to see which model the frame originally is or maybe where it was sold, so that i can ask for a copy of the bill. It is nice to know something about it if you want to sell it. I think it is a bit too small for me.

About the fork question, i do not know much about it. It says Rock Shox and Solo Air. Then there is a table with how many psi is used for different weights. I can not find anything about XC30 or anything. Other than that i can tell you these specs:
    Back derailluer: Shimano Deore XT
    Front derailluer: Shimano Deore
    Fork: Rock Shox with remote system
    Rims: Shimano Deore XT
    Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron
    Seat / Saddle: Force LEE Sport
    Brakes: Shimano BR-M615 Disc
  • jimothy78
    mpd10 wrote:
    About the fork question, i do not know much about it. It says Rock Shox and Solo Air. Then there is a table with how many psi is used for different weights.

Strange for the forks not to have any model identification - again, the serial number may be of some help - look at the back of the fork's crown, just under the headtube. Lets have a good pic of them, too - especially the controls/fittings on the crown.

As for the other stuff, it seems prety well specced - the m615 brakes are one of the newer Deore models, and very good quality. The drivetrain also sounds servicable, although you don't mention what shifters they've used, which could make a big difference.
    It is nice to know something about it if you want to sell it. I think it is a bit too small for me.
    but as pointed out above, it appears to no longer conform to any of the original model numbers it could have originally had, so it would be disingenuous of you to sell it on as one, unless you listed all the ways it differed from that original specification.
  • mpd10
    jimothy78 wrote:
    mpd10 wrote:
    About the fork question, i do not know much about it. It says Rock Shox and Solo Air. Then there is a table with how many psi is used for different weights.

Strange for the forks not to have any model identification - again, the serial number may be of some help - look at the back of the fork's crown, just under the headtube. Lets have a good pic of them, too - especially the controls/fittings on the crown.

As for the other stuff, it seems prety well specced - the m615 brakes are one of the newer Deore models, and very good quality. The drivetrain also sounds servicable, although you don't mention what shifters they've used, which could make a big difference.
    It is nice to know something about it if you want to sell it. I think it is a bit too small for me.
    but as pointed out above, it appears to no longer conform to any of the original model numbers it could have originally had, so it would be disingenuous of you to sell it on as one, unless you listed all the ways it differed from that original specification.
    The serial number of the bike is WSSPGP411833J. And then i was wrong about the brakes, actually. Sorry about that. I'm not home before tomorrow, so I'm doing the information part over the phone. Here are some corrections:

Shifters: SL-M610
    Brakes: SN-MA-S180P-P2 (no idea what this means, number is from the brakes)
    Brakes(on the handlebar): BL-M395

I could not get the model of the fork, but i'm told that it says E026 around where you asked me to look. I can not find anything about that number on the internet. On the forks remote system on the handlebar it says T06SEB14.

Ofcourse i would list the specifications. It is just.. if i had to buy a bike from someone, and they could not tell me the model, i think it would seem a bit unprofessional and untrustworthy. It was quite expensive in relation to that it was bought on an auction, so any information would help :D
  • mpd10
    I will send some more pictures in a few minutes
  • mpd10
    Fork 1
  • mpd10
    Fork 2: Top
  • mpd10
    Remote system
  • mpd10 wrote:
    Fork 2: Top

Is there a blue dial on top of the other fork leg? This pic just shows the air valve cap.
    It looks like either a Rockshox Recon Gold or Reba but there are are various versions of both ranging from just ok to really quite good. There should be a serial nunber in the top of one of the lower legs, possibly on the back. I'm surprised there's no model name sticker.
  • jimothy78
    mpd10 wrote:
    The serial number of the bike is WSSPGP411833J.
    Well scott or one of their distributors may be able to tell you what the original build of the bike is from that.
    Here are some corrections:
    Shifters: SL-M610
    Deore, so fairly good.
    Brakes: SN-MA-S180P-P2 (no idea what this means, number is from the brakes)

No - that's the calliper adapter (just the bit of metal that moves the calliper relative to the frame to put it in the right position for the size of disc that's fitted - all it tells us that the fork is post-mount standard, and you have a 180mm rotor fitted.
    Brakes(on the handlebar): BL-M395
    Acera then (one level below Deore) - still fairly decent, hopefully.
    I could not get the model of the fork, but i'm told that it says E026 around where you asked me to look. I can not find anything about that number on the internet.

Hmm, well the picture of the remote definitely shows a Rockshox Poploc remote. The fork could have been repainted, or could be OE, which might explain the lack of model information. Unless you can find a serial number on it (about 12-15 digits long, IIRC) then I'm not sure we'll be able to work out what it is.
  • jimothy78
    Actually, looking again at Bikepedia, the 2014 Scale 760 came with an XC 30 Gold TK, which looks a lot like yours. Also had the M395 brakes, XT rear mech and Deore Shifters fitted as stock, so that's looking quite promising.