MTB Insurance

Dayz
Dayz Posts: 33
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
On my track bike I have insurance that covers it against theft or accidental damage "when not under its own power" so during storage or transit or even in the pitlane/pit garages.

Does such a thing exist for MTB's? (obviously the "under its own power" statement may be different) If so, who do people use/recommend

The bike is usually just kept strapped down in the van as it's handy if the mood should strike me, but sometimes its locked and alarmed up in work, possibly sometimes it home for some reason...

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Home insurance.
  • Dayz
    Dayz Posts: 33
    yeh......no....home insurance doesn't even cover bicycles over a certain value in the shed, let alone out and about in the van and at work...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Change your home insurer, it's still cheaper than dedicated bike insurance which is crazy expensive. My home insurance gives much better cover with little restriction (no need for gold secure locks for example).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tesco home insurance is good. You don't have to list your bikes on the policy. I have 75k contents insurance. They told me as long as contents are at home and value is below 75k then they are insured. They confirmed it doesn't matter how much the bike is worth. You don't have to list other valuables like jewellery either. It's extra to add insurance away from home.

My tesco insurance was lower than independent cycle insurance. Also those policies have a bad rep as there are so many clauses.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Echoing the above - just had my MTB stolen :( House contents insurance paid out no problem at all. It was in an unlocked shed but it was locked to a metal bar fixed in the wall inside the shed, but with just a bog-standard combination wire lock. They've also said it would be covered if it was stolen from inside my car provided the car was locked and the bike was secured to a fixed part of the car (such as the front seat rails). I do have to specify high value bikes on mine (over £750 I think), but that wasn't an issue for me and it would only have added about £8 to the annual policy to add a £1000 bike.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    DSA244 wrote:
    Tesco home insurance is good. You don't have to list your bikes on the policy. I have 75k contents insurance. They told me as long as contents are at home and value is below 75k then they are insured. They confirmed it doesn't matter how much the bike is worth. You don't have to list other valuables like jewellery either. It's extra to add insurance away from home.

My tesco insurance was lower than independent cycle insurance. Also those policies have a bad rep as there are so many clauses.

From Tesco docs...
    We cover bicycles up to a total of £2,500 with a maximum limit of £1,000 per bicycle. The Bicycle cover you select is in addition to your contents cover.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Another one for home insurance, I changed mine as my old policy only covered up to £500 and looking at bike insurance the prices were crazy (and needed gold standard chains, locks and anchors). Sheila's Wheels was best for me, my bike (£2500) is covered so long as it's locked in, or on, my car, my garage, shed, house. Doesn't need to be chained to the floor, wall etc (although it always is) and it was only a few quid more than my existing insurance.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    M&S Home insurance covers bikes up to £1,000 each or higher if named on the policy. They are covered in a locked shed (don't have to be locked up in the shed) and in or on a locked car. Well they were last time I checked anyway.

I had a bike nicked out the shed (a named bike insured for £1,500) and they were excellent, offered to pay the full price it was insured for with no quibbling (or I could spend more than it was insured for with Wheelies).