Pulled groin muscle after cycling

LAXman
LAXman Posts: 9
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
Recently I competed in a triathlon. It was my first. When I started to run after completing the bike portion of the race I had intense pain in both groin muscles (adductors). I realized I had pulled both muscles.

Background information.... I ride a road bike and the race distance was 18 1/2 miles. I spent the entire time on the hooks and forward on the seat. I have never ridden so long in that position, however during the ride I didn't notice any pain...

Has anyone else experienced this? If so is this something I can do to prevent this from happening again? very strange because I have ridden a lot this summer and have never had this happen.

Comments

• I have no experience of this but had you pulled them while cycling, surely you would have known it? Maybe its the transition from cycling to running, using different muscles or using them in a different way. Perhaps need time in transition to stretch briefly before running?
  • Sounds more like you might have done the injury in the swim, or possibly from the bike set up not being great, though I have known people injure themselves removing a wetsuit in transition.

You say it's your first race so feel for you, but do you know when the pain started. Ignore the wobbly legs of bike to run we all have them you just need to learn to run through that stage and it will go after 1kms or so.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The pain started as soon as I put my shoes on to run.... 3 steps and OMG where did that come from. A week later and its still sore.... won't be playing soccer this sunday due to it.

My legs were tired during the bike, but that I expected and have experience before but nothing like this. I'm thinking it was my new saddle pressing against my upper thigh (adductors). Will try riding this week.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Yoga - seriously try it - its got me back on the bike after 3 years out