Am I too heavy for a road bike?

TheFitFatty85
TheFitFatty85 Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've just joined the forum this afternoon so go easy on me lol.. I'm looking for some advice please, I have been thinking of buying a road bike, my friend seems too think I'm too heavy at 18st 5 pound, at the moment I ride a hybrid too and from work and out on long rides, my friend said that the wheels could be a problem as they are much thinner?

The bike I was thinking of buying was this one

http://www.southdownsbikes.com/m1b1s256 ... S_GB/59060

Thanks

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    edited September 2014
    I don't see any real problem with that bike.
    The frame can take your weight an the wheels seem 32 spokes with stiff rims wich could be sufficient.
    You could sent an E-mail to Specialized Customer Support about what they think about this.
    Apart from that, the price seems a bit high to me for a Sora equipped bike, but that's possibly the name and the disc brakes you pay for.
  • At that weight I'd go aluminium frame.

I know a guy at a similar weight with a pinerello rohk? Something like that. I swear you can see the whole bike flexing and bending.

Aluminium is apparently stiffer.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Frame will be fine, it's the wheels that take the abuse - make sure you buy from a reputable dealer and get the wheels checked regularly. Fitting the maximum size tyres e.g. 28mm will help reduce impact punctures too. Aluminium alloy as a material isn't stiffer but frames need to be overbuilt to compensate for the material's fatigue-limit and consequently many have a tendency to be harsh and unforgiving.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I was well north of 21 st when I started five years ago, now 17.5 - Spesh have no weight limit on frames just certain carbon components. As others have said its wheels you need to be careful with. Sell whatever comes on the bike and replace with 36 spoke handbuilts and off you go!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I don't agree with your friend -you are not too heavy for a road bike - Those wheels are not too different to ones found on a tourer with loaded panniers.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Hi all,
    My friend said that the wheels could be a problem as they are much thinner?

Bike parts tend to be two of three things... cheap , strong , lightweight. Pick two.

You friend maybe correct about carbon wheels built to be ultra lightweight. It's okay for the pros, they can throw a damaged wheel away and put another one on.

But standard wheels (for us who don't have a support car) tend to be stronger and built to last.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    I speak from experience of being that weight and the bike will be fine. As has been said a handbuilt 36 spoke rear will give you trouble free miles. 32 spokes up front will be sufficient. 25c tyres probably a good idea over 23c.

General rule is avoid anything super light and pay attention to any weight limits. Go for it.
  • TheFitFatty85
    TheFitFatty85 Posts: 3
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the help and advice guys, I really appreciate it.
  • Like others have said, bike will be fine. I started out a couple of years ago when my weight had crept up to over 21 stone. The R500s did okay for about 2 years but a proper set of 32 spoke wheels will be fine. I'm now 17.5 stone, still working on my climbing but am normally not the last up the hills, can keep up with the 18s on a full ride and 20s on a flatish ride. Frames are strong, as long as you have a sensible set of wheels then all will be fine.