Strange marks on Carbon Frame Canon Ultimate CF 8.0 2014

OlivierV
OlivierV Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hello !

I've just received the new bike I've ordered weeks ago at Canyon.
Out of the box, the top tube is presenting strange marks like the painting was too thin to hide the below carbon layouts.

After sending the pictures to Canyon, they said it was "normal" but I found it strange since I haven't noticed such marks on some Specialized or Cannondale bikes I have seen in shops. Even with black mate painting.

I have 30 days to return the bike but before I do that, I'd like to know your opinion about these marks ? And if you have ever received a bike in such a state ? Would you recommend to send the bike back ?

I've attached some pictures.

Thank you.

Comments

• It's normal.
  • Well, could you develop your answer ? Like why you find it normal ?
    Thx.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2014
    My Hongfu FM066SL is the same. Its not a defect of the frame. afaik carbon frames are constructed in two pieces and bonded together down the middle. This is what you are seeing. The frame has been clear coated over carbon ,not painted.
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    Keep the confirmation from Canyon that this is normal, if you ever have any problems with this aspect of the bike then you have grounds to complain immediately.
  • OlivierV wrote:
    I have 30 days to return the bike but before I do that, I'd like to know your opinion about these marks ?

Normal
    OlivierV wrote:
    And if you have ever received a bike in such a state ?

Yes
    OlivierV wrote:
    Would you recommend to send the bike back ?

No
    OlivierV wrote:
    Thank you

No probs. :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • trailflow wrote:
    My Hongfu FM066SL is the same. Its not a defect of the frame. afaik carbon frames are constructed in two pieces and bonded together down the middle. This is what you are seeing. The frame has been clear coated over carbon ,not painted.

What this guy said.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    It's completely normal. My Cayo has a matt finish and my Foil has a gloss finish. On both of them, I can clearly see the same longitudinal joint through the clear coat along the top tube.

Other bikes which you have seen will have had their top tubes painted, thus hiding the join.