Specialized Romin Evo carbon rail

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,
I would like to fit my Romin Evo saddle to my new bike, but given the rails of the saddle are carbon i want to buy a post that's clamp is not going to trash the rails. I dont like the cup and single bolt style seat posts as my fat arse allows the clamp to slip. So can i use a traditional two bolt clamp style like a Thomson sat post on my carbon railed saddle? I have tried googling but cant seem to get an answer?

Keen to hear peoples thoughts/experience.

Many thanks,

Russ

Comments

• I think you can as the pressure is applied under & above the rails. My Zipp post is a similar fastening system and I too have a carbon railed Romin saddle. No issues thus far.
  • russyh
    Brilliant thanks, i had hoped that was the case.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have been using a carbon rail saddle with a Thomson seat post for a couple of years without any issues.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I think the carbon rails on that saddle are oval rather than round. Don't some seatpost clamps have a problem with rails like that?
  • russyh
    Yes they are oval, i had to purchase a new seat clamp head on my old S-works post it clamped horizontally rather than vertically and the rails fitted into oval recess if that makes sense. It was a single bolt clamp. Which i didnt like.

I wondered if a two bolt vertical clamp would be OK as it would not need a different cup to clamp the rails?? It looks like the posters above run this with no problem.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Russyh wrote:
    Yes they are oval, i had to purchase a new seat clamp head on my old S-works post it clamped horizontally rather than vertically and the rails fitted into oval recess if that makes sense. It was a single bolt clamp. Which i didnt like.

I wondered if a two bolt vertical clamp would be OK as it would not need a different cup to clamp the rails?? It looks like the posters above run this with no problem.

I don't think I have ever seen a clamp that clamps horizontally. Sounds like a bonkers design. I imagine the recesses must be a very precise shape and if they are oval then it would not work with round rails unless you had a shim around the round rails to make them oval ??
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am not sure about that horizontal clamping comment. My S-Works post has a clamp with the bolt vertical, applying force to two horizontal plates. I would count that as vertical clamping :?
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have that saddle with a Fizik Cyrano Carbon post, no problems 2 years.
  • russyh
    Maybe horizontal clamp was a bad description. It's a single bolt clamp. You tighten the bolt and it clamps along a horizontal axis as opposed to tightening two bolts which clamp from bottom to top.

Here is a link to my old sworks seat clamp.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/product-med ... AVEIIZ.jpg

Anyway, thanks for all the help, I think I am going to order a thomson masterpiece this afternoon.

Russ
  • There's plenty of seat posts out there that clamp from the side, or horizontally. 3T Palladio being one example.

I had a carbon railed toupe which I had to change when my new bike came with such a 3T clamp mechanism. It does seem strange to use such a clamp, but it does have some positives. Long and short is that you'll be fine with a vertical clamp post.
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    Russyh wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    I would like to fit my Romin Evo saddle to my new bike, but given the rails of the saddle are carbon i want to buy a post that's clamp is not going to trash the rails. I dont like the cup and single bolt style seat posts as my fat ars* allows the clamp to slip. So can i use a traditional two bolt clamp style like a Thomson sat post on my carbon railed saddle? I have tried googling but cant seem to get an answer?

Keen to hear peoples thoughts/experience.

Many thanks,

Russ

I bought the above mentioned saddle with Carbon rail about 4 weeks ago from Evans and the glue that holds it in to the rail came lose after 2 weeks causing a extremely loud creak and massive flexing of the saddle, google romin evo saddle and creaking issue and you will find that issue on a few forums.

I sent the saddle back to evans but still waiting for a response as they have to get in contact with Specialized, it's becoming a bit of an nightmare. I had to go out and buy and new saddle (Sella Italia Flite). I told Evans not to send me out the same model again but that email was sent a week ago and haven't had a reply to that either.

Poor service from Evans, the saddle was actually comfortable but I won't be buying Specialized again.

The titanium rail romin evo doesn't have this problem so I would recommend that saddle over the carbon railed if you have to have romin evo.
  • russyh
    Umm if you read my post again mate you would know I already have a carbon railed romin. I only use these and toupes never had a problem. Albeit this is my first carbon railed one, 6 months in and I have had no problems whatsoever. However I want to check I can use a different post clamping mechanism on the carbon rails.
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    Russyh wrote:
    Umm if you read my post again mate you would know I already have a carbon railed romin. I only use these and toupes never had a problem. Albeit this is my first carbon railed one, 6 months in and I have had no problems whatsoever. However I want to check I can use a different post clamping mechanism on the carbon rails.
    :oops: me bad!!
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    currently in similar situation as OP. I have the same saddle with carbon rails but have to change a 3T palladio Pro seatpost because the lock system isn't suitable :evil:
  • Russyh wrote:
    Anyway, thanks for all the help, I think I am going to order a thomson masterpiece this afternoon.

I use a Thomson Masterpiece with a Toupe Pro (carbon rails) and have put over 4,000 miles on the combo so far. Still the same as the day they were new. Super lightweight and very comfy.

Just a note, I had to tighten the two clamp bolts pretty tight to stop the creaking. A little carbon paste helped too. Once tight enough it's never moved or creaked once. I've hit some bone-jarring potholes too, with no damage to anything except my poor wrists!