Ride 4 Frimley - Breast Care Charity Ride

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
First of all if you've actually taken the time and clicked on this thread, thank you!!

I know not everyone is a fan of people coming on here with the charity cap in hand and I had no intention of doing it either until a few people suggested that I did so I thought why not :D

Mods - if I shouldn't of done this please let me know.

Anyway, on Sunday 28th September I'll be riding the 'Ride 4 Frimley 2014 Sportive' to raise funds for the Breast Care Appeal at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey.

Breast cancer is a disease which effects thousands of women (and a number of men) in the UK each year and it is something which has now personally effected my family twice.

My wife was diagnosed with Stage 3 Grade 3 breast cancer in April this year after discovering a very small lump which she dismissed as nothing. She has subsequently been through a course of chemotherapy and surgery / reconstruction and now I am delighted to be able to say that she is cancer free (she still has 5 weeks of radiotherapy to go).

The care that she has received during her treatment has always been second to none but Frimley Park are of course always committed to improving the care they give. The Breast Care Appeal will provide the first dedicated breast unit at Frimley Park Hospital for the 6,000 people who visit the breast care team every year. It will also help to diagnose cancer earlier by providing a 3D mammography machine, the latest gold-standard technology to accurately image and diagnose breast abnormalities.

If you've read through this far, thank you once again, if you do feel able to donate anything I have set up a Just Giving page, if you don't that's absolutely fine as well.

https://www.justgiving.com/arransteel/

Hopefully this will raise a little awareness for the excellent work that the Breast Care Team at Frimley Park Hospital do and more generally an awareness of breast cancer especially in younger women - my wife is well below the age at which she would receive a mammogram, so if this post achieves nothing else please ask the women in your lives to check themselves, my wife did and it saved her life :D
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    I'm in.

You're up to 50% of your target already :shock: :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    Thanks Stevo, it's much appreciated :D
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Target exceeded, you must have an even lower opinion of your worth than we do.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:

:lol::lol:

Like I said it was a bit last minute deciding to set up the page because I know what it can be like when people come on here asking so I really just wanted to raise some more awareness of breast cancer in younger women and the work that Frimley Park do.

If I'm able to raise a bit of money for them it's a real bonus so thank you :D

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    and it keeps going!

I think its safe to say we are all supportive of anything to do with breasts :)
  • arran77
    matthew h wrote:
    and it keeps going!

:lol:

Thanks Mr H :D

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I clicked on the link half expecting the target to be £7.80 :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I clicked on the link half expecting the target to be £7.80 :wink:

:P

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    matthew h wrote:
    We should add that whilst checking is of course very important, you shouldn't help without asking first. Especially if you don't know the person involved.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    We should add that whilst checking is of course very important, you shouldn't help without asking first. Especially if you don't know the person involved.

Er yes, checking random women's breasts in the street is not a good idea :wink:

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    arran77 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

Er yes, checking random women's breasts in the street is not a good idea :wink:

Is this because a wonder bra gives a false impression?
  • veronese68
    Sorry, maybe we should start this bit of the conversation in BB as we are diverting attention from quite an important subject.
    Support PW77's other half's baps people. Hang on, that doesn't sound right either. :?
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Support PW77's other half's baps people. Hang on, that doesn't sound right either. :?

:lol:

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    Have you done it then?
  • arran77
    matthew h wrote:
    Have you done it then?

All done so your sponsorship was justified :lol:

Thanks again to all of you who did sponsor me, Mrs 77 was very pleased too, she thought this place was just a waste of time before this :wink:

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    arran77 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Have you done it then?

Thanks again to all of you who did sponsor me, Mrs 77 was very pleased too, she thought this place was just a waste of time before this :wink:

it a massive waste of your work time :)
  • arran77
    matthew h wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Have you done it then?

:D

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    arran77 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Have you done it then?

joking aside after all you have both been through - I'm glad she was happy
  • arran77
    matthew h wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Have you done it then?

joking aside after all you have both been through - I'm glad she was happy

Very much so, and like she said it came from people on here who Ive never actually met in person and who don't really know us but despite that you've all been so kind with everything thats gone on :)

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    It would be really embarassing if we did meet her: "Evening Mrs PW77 we were happy to support your norks." :oops:
    Well done Arran, I can't imagine what it's been like for you. All the best Mrs Arran, I know we've never met but many of us have been thinking of you, in a good way honestly.
  • tlw1
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It would be really embarassing if we did meet her: "Evening Mrs PW77 we were happy to support your norks." :oops:
    Well done Arran, I can't imagine what it's been like for you. All the best Mrs Arran, I know we've never met but many of us have been thinking of you, in a good way honestly.

overall in a good way, but........................