Zondas vs RS81s

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Nope, not a fight contest but I am looking for some (slightly) bling VFM wheels to replace the RS80s that I have pretty much worn out after 4 seasons. So, not looking handbuilts at the moment (I have some already on my older bikes and probably won't go for that option at the moment) and I don't have oodles of cash. I do have some winter wheels (RS30s) so just need some nicer wheels for when the sun is bright and the air is fresh...and then for the next few summer seasons.

I am still struggling with the concept of big Campag logos on a bike with a Shimano GS but I am hoping I can explain that one to St Peter at the pearly gates when my time comes.

I would go for the RS81s but would rather just spend £260 on Zondas, which look to be fantastic value and club mates I ride with enthuse about them. However, several reviews mention "very stiff" which puts me off a bit as I often do long rides, albeit on 25s, etc. Now the question, anyone used Zondas AND RS80/81s and can give an opinion on the relative stiffness? I don't want great VFM wheels if riding big miles on them makes my teeth rattle.

My stats are 65kg, I ride undulating routes and struggle to average 200W (so I don't need to worry too much about the ability to soak up masses of power) :)

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Had a set of RS 80's about 2 years ago. They were bought to replace the standard wheels that came on a Trek Madone I bought. The initial impressions were great compared to the feel of the Bontrager wheels. However after a bit I began to experience quite significant flex in the front wheel. So much so that the magnet for my Cateye computer was catching the fork mounted sender unit every time I got out of the saddle on a climb.

I have to add that I'm significantly heavier than you at 85kg so the wheel flex on a low spoke count front is perhaps not too surprising. Eventually bit the bullet and had Ugo build me a set of Open Pro's on Novatec Hubs with 28/32 profile. A bit heavier than the RS80's but certainly no flex.

More recently I've acquired a set of Zondas which are fitted to my current (and only) bike - a build based around a 2012 Genesis Equilibrium frameset. This has 105 5700 groupset and, no, I don't give a sh*t about the Campag logos.

To date the Zondas have been fantastic - still a little bit of flex in the front but otherwise smooth rolling and plenty stiff enough for my fitness pootling. Running them with 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC tyres and the ride is excellent - not at all harsh. Have also noted a 2mph improvement on average speeds for many of my normal routes up to about 30miles distance. Not ridden a longer distance yet.

On balance I would rate the Zondas above the RS80's but that is based on my weight and my riding profile so subjective as always
  • The stickers can be peeled off I am sure.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Zondas are good IMO - they are noticeably stiffer than the stock wheels they replaced on my Defy, but with 25c tyres they're still suitably comfortable for long days in the saddle. I've done a few 150km rides on them no issue. For the price you can get them for at the moment it was difficult to see how I could get any better value for money with anything else. The stickers would easily come off if you wanted to but to be honest I don't really care.

I'm 76kg and no noticeable flex from the Zondas.
  • Just change the rest of the bike to Campag then you'll luv the decals.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Definitely a good upgrade - if you don't want the logos you could get the Fulcrum 3s instead, same wheel for all practical purposes. I doubt that the stiffness will make your teeth rattle assuming the same tyres and pressure, they will just have a slightly different feel.

P.S. 200w /average/ is pretty good for a 65kg rider over a ride of 2 hours or more.
  • Undulating Routes??????? That's an understatement if I've ever seen one!

I think you should have the heaviest wheels you can find so I can have the remotest chance of one day beating you up a hill. :-)
  • Bobbinogs
    neeb wrote:

P.S. 200w /average/ is pretty good for a 65kg rider over a ride of 2 hours or more.

Hehe. Cheers neeb I think I might have been a bit optimistic. Checking my last few rides my averages are probably closer to 170w, but I did recently keep that going for 8 hours:

http://www.strava.com/activities/190692770

Andy, we can work on that handicapping system for climbs. I intend to make a start with curry and beer tonight if that helps :)

Thanks all for the help to date.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    +1 Zondas.

I've had a pair for years and the only problem I've had is a spoke nipple once needed a tweak.

Fitted with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres I can roll at a reasonable average speed, for me. A noticeable difference compared to the stock wheels my bike came with.

They feel lightweight. Compared to other wheels I've had.

Have withstood all sorts of abuse and battering from our ever-increasing collection of potholes ( I look forward to them being filled in when I renew my car tax next week ) and one road I cycle on frequently requires going up and down small kerbstones to get on a cycle path.

The only cons is one road I cycle along is quite a rough surface, looks like pebbles sank into tarmac. I feel every vibration along this road.

Would I buy another Zonda wheelset again for a new bike? Absolutely.

Sometimes I look at the price of Zondas and wonder how good more expensive wheel sets are, if the cheaper Zondas are already this good?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Yet another happy Zonda owner. You can't go wrong with them.
  • Not sure which RS81 OP is referring to.

I've used Zonda and RS81 C35. Zonda definitely has the stiffness. C35 is softer.
    Acceleration, Zonda has the upper hand, but C35 is better for maintaining a steady speed >30kph.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • Another Zonda man. Fitted to my Cube to replace the Easton's that came with the bike, v. impressed so far. Roll really well, not too stiff and a definite increase in my performance:)
  • Bobbinogs
    bikingjohn wrote:
    Not sure which RS81 OP is referring to.

Ah yes, good point. I have the cheaper C24s which have been fantastic at the lower speeds I ride.

Still nothing bad said about the Zondas, and another club ride today where the considered opinion concurs with that on this thread. Thanks to everyone, button pressed.

Now, let's hope they arrive before the summer ends :)