Tacx vr trainer

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking to buy a vr trainer does anyone have one that can tell me if they are worth it or not?
Also are they easy to set up and what extras do you need?
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• Is that the one you plug into your PC and watch a video and it auto loads the turbo trainer difficulty to suit hills?

If so I had one. The novelty wore off after a while, though it was really good at the time. The extra DVD's were quite expensive.

If you have the spare cash though, then why not.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • I have one and i think they are brilliant ,you can ride any road in the world also you can load your Garmin rides on to it too and the road comes up on your computer .
    You can also race against other people as if you look up Tacxtours .com in the winter from November they have races normally Sunday Tue and Thurs ,also at present if you look up tts4race.co.nfyou will see there is a Monday and Tuesday handicap race .
    I bought some dvds but you dont need them really as with the gps the road comes up on the screen and Tacx puts up rides all the time .
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have the i-Flow version and yes it's good. You get out of them what you put in. If I was doing it all again however, I wouldn't buy the i-Flow but probably the Bushido. That or look at the offerings from Elite. At least with the i-Flow with it running from a desktop PC, I can link it to a projector and the display on a large screen. What's not good is the fees on top for the Advanced licence and Google Earth. As for the DVD costs for the Tacx trainers; they're cheaper if you download them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I had the Fortius and now have a Bushido.

The problem, for me anyway, was that with the pure VR trainers you always needed to have the TTS software loaded up to run it. OK it is a lot better now with less wires than the Fortius had, but I found it a pain to set it up and fire the laptop even if I wanted to just do 2x20 or pyramids etc. I have frequently found myself just using the head unit which I have now programmed in to do a few workouts such as 3x3s on varying gradients etc.

I'll be looking to get the TTS though now on the Android Tablet to see what it is like and then load some RLVs on it.

The other thing I found is that using the Bushido was easier for taking to club turbo sessions over the winter.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I have the old Fortius - yes, there's a lot of wires and it's a faff to set up. I leave mine set up. There's no Mac version of the software so I have to run it on Parallels. I shop for the CDs when they're cheap in sales. It's very good though and far more engaging than a regular turbo.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH