Cycling glasses

rocket1
rocket1 Posts: 76
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
`Looking for a decent pair of cycling glasses as not had much luck with the pairs i have bought between steaming up
parts falling off .Any recommendations would be appreciated,thanks to all replies .
cheers Ronnie

Comments

• Oakley Radar. Just put the clear lenses in one of my Radar frames as it's now dark in the evenings and even on the sweatiest, hardest working rides they don't fog (not vented). And of course there's the peerless optics which means there's no horrible distortions - particularly noticeable at night!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    viewtopic.php?p=15952740

All glasses will fog up when you stop and have been exerting hard effort. Most decent ones will not fog when moving, and will clear quickly when setting off. You can improve it with something like Rain-X or Muc-Off anti-fog, or by spitting on them, but the coating needs to be reapplied.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Budget?
  • A tiny tiny drop of fairy liquid on the inside of the lenses will solve the steaming problem in the mean time. I couldn't believe how well it worked when I first tried it.
  • Never had a budget in mind as i just want a set that will last and do not fall apart .
    Been looking at reviews and noticed that these Arina Revolution glasses have five star rating by bike radar ,has
    anyone got them and are they any good .
    Thanks for replies
    Cheers Ronnie
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Oakley Radar. Just put the clear lenses in one of my Radar frames as it's now dark in the evenings and even on the sweatiest, hardest working rides they don't fog (not vented). And of course there's the peerless optics which means there's no horrible distortions - particularly noticeable at night!
    Oakley glasses are nice and all but I think they're more a triumph of branding/marketing than engineering. What specifically makes the optics so peerless? I've had no problems with "horrible distortion" when using other brands. Have you?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Oakley Radar. Just put the clear lenses in one of my Radar frames as it's now dark in the evenings and even on the sweatiest, hardest working rides they don't fog (not vented). And of course there's the peerless optics which means there's no horrible distortions - particularly noticeable at night!
    Oakley glasses are nice and all but I think they're more a triumph of branding/marketing than engineering. What specifically makes the optics so peerless? I've had no problems with "horrible distortion" when using other brands. Have you?
    Yes. That's until you own a pair. You stop thinking that then ..
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I own a couple of pairs of Oakley Radars (genuine) as well as Rudy Project Impact X's, I prefer the Rudy's myself, more comfy and the lens is just as good. I've also used cheaper glasses like DHB ones in the past and I can't say my riding was affected by horrible distortion. There's probably a noticeable difference between £2 safety specs and Radar's but once you're spending £20+ I doubt most people can tell the difference (in terms of lens clarity).
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Rudy Project. I use Genetyks with photochromic lens. Never had a pair break or cause problems and a little cheaper than Oakleys that in reality are no better than some of the cheaper brands in the rest of the market.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rocket1
    rocket1 Posts: 76
    Well i have just went and purchased a set of Oakley Radar metallic black with G20 Iridium lenses for £79.00 now that is a bargain ,see how i get on with these.
    How i got them for £79.00 was at eyewearoutlet .co.uk on sale at £99.00 entered discount code CUSTOM20 .
    Dare say code will work for other glasses they have for sale
    Cheers Ronnie
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    If you wanted a slightly cheaper but still very good option Salice 006 are great. Very comfortable on my wonky nose and have had zero issues with them steaming up whilst riding.

I think i saw them on sale on PBK recently for about £50
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2014
    nferrar wrote:
    I own a couple of pairs of Oakley Radars (genuine) as well as Rudy Project Impact X's, I prefer the Rudy's myself, more comfy and the lens is just as good. I've also used cheaper glasses like DHB ones in the past and I can't say my riding was affected by horrible distortion. There's probably a noticeable difference between £2 safety specs and Radar's but once you're spending £20+ I doubt most people can tell the difference (in terms of lens clarity).

Depends what you mean by 'tell the difference'. Your brain has to correct that 'difference' in clarity (because it is receiving conflicting information from each eye).
    You do not really 'notice' its doing it at the time, but I feel it has an effect and prefer not to have to have my brain self correct a cheap/cr4p pair of glasses.

If cost is not an issue I would get Radarlock Photochromic's and maybe get a Polarised lens at a later date. (or the other way around depending on which colour frames you prefer).